• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Welcome Back to TalkWeather

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Greetings all,

More than likely a good chunk of you don't know of me or remember me from back in the day. I used to post as WesL but between raising a family, running a company and all the other fun associated tasks of life, I became a lurker of sorts here at TalkWeather. Sometimes you don't realize just how much you miss something until it is gone and that was the situation a few weeks ago during a severe weather event. I missed reading all the posts (okay most of the posts) during the event and started to explore the options of helping bring TalkWeather back. As you can see with the help of Jack we have a new forum. This is the first step in bringing TalkWeather back and I will make constant updates going forward with our progress. Naturally, with something built on the fly in the course of a few hours there will be hiccups. I invite you to help us troubleshoot by leaving a message below with the issue at hand and I'll let you know what we can do to fix it.

So here is the overview as of now (and subject to change):

• Jack will be staying on as a moderator and I suspect he will have some help. My background includes online community management so I will be joining that team and will be handling all the technical aspects.
  • Sadly we are missing 1,000,000+ posts and I don't like that. In the coming weeks we will work to see if we can restore the content from the salvaged backups. Thankfully this new forum software has some integration capabilities if the data is usable. Time will tell.
  • What you see today is subject to change. I'm going to be looking at a farming out some work to create a custom template for the site design.
  • In time I have several features in mind to include in the site. I'm always open to suggestions so please feel free to reach out to me if you have something you would like to see.
  • Hosting includes daily backup snapshots. The model that we are now using is fully virtualized and allows for growth when and if we need it.
In closing, I ask that each of you bear with us as we work to get everything back to "normal". This community has always been special to me and I hope that everyone considers coming back and being a part of the fun and insanity.

Thanks again to Jack for trusting me with this project and I look forward to seeing all your posts soon!

WesL

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Glad the Talkweather drought is over.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yay!! Not sure if your aware but I tried the login with Facebook option and it doesn't work.
Did it give you an error? I had an issue at first but it cleared up. I've turned it off for the moment and I'll tackle it after I get some sleep.

Michael

Reaction score
Had I been more awake, I would've thought to take a screen shot. It said something alone the lines of the app account didn't have the priveledge of logging in to this site.

Get some rest man! You've outdone yourself over night! Speaks volumes! You rock!!

tagat

Reaction score
I know you guys are just trying to get the site up and running for this event, It always nice to see the daily and all time peak user #s and the user/guest viewing a thread. Thanks again for bringing TW back.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking site - the defaults seem to work fairly well. Please let me know if I can assist with the template. I love that the old logo survived to the new version. :)

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One issue I see: it is not displaying people's locations by default.
I'll add that to the list of things to look at.
Good looking site - the defaults seem to work fairly well. Please let me know if I can assist with the template. I love that the old logo survived to the new version. :)
Wouldn't have it any other way. We shall be talking very soon.

Back