• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Alert Apps

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
Any new thoughts about weather alert apps? I have iMap Weather Radio on my phone, but its alerts won't wake me up. Just a voice that says, "The National Weather Service has issued a tornado warning." I downloaded the Red Cross Tornado app, but it didn't alert me for the tornado watch that was just issued for my area. Just wondering what else is out there now that is reliable and does a screeching wake yo butt up alert??

Reaction score
Any new thoughts about weather alert apps? I have iMap Weather Radio on my phone, but its alerts won't wake me up. Just a voice that says, "The National Weather Service has issued a tornado warning." I downloaded the Red Cross Tornado app, but it didn't alert me for the tornado watch that was just issued for my area. Just wondering what else is out there now that is reliable and does a screeching wake yo butt up alert??
My weather radio is loud enough to wake up the neighborhood and super duper screechy. It scares the mess out of me every time it goes off after hours. I can also trust it to wake me up almost anywhere in the house.

Reaction score
My weather radio is loud enough to wake up the neighborhood and super duper screechy. It scares the mess out of me every time it goes off after hours. I can also trust it to wake me up almost anywhere in the house.

That's what I need! Lol. The Red Cross App did wake me up for a tornado warning Sunday morning. It has a very loud alert. The warning was for Cullman County instead of Blount, but I noticed I had my warning radius set to five miles, and I'm closer than that to the county line. I wish the apps would use the polygons for alerts instead of counties.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Are you saying we should develop an alert app that let's you define times for "louder" alerts for warnings/watches that you can pre-define?

giphy.gif

Reaction score
That's what I need! Lol. The Red Cross App did wake me up for a tornado warning Sunday morning. It has a very loud alert. The warning was for Cullman County instead of Blount, but I noticed I had my warning radius set to five miles, and I'm closer than that to the county line. I wish the apps would use the polygons for alerts instead of counties.
The radio I use issues warnings by county as well and you're able to program something like 25 counties. I actually like having the option for multiple counties-I programmed nearby counties to the west and southwest (where the worst storms typically move in) so I get a heads up if warned storms are moving in to my area late at night.

Reaction score
The radio I use issues warnings by county as well and you're able to program something like 25 counties. I actually like having the option for multiple counties-I programmed nearby counties to the west and southwest (where the worst storms typically move in) so I get a heads up if warned storms are moving in to my area late at night.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't have one, but as I get older I am more likely to stay asleep even when severe weather is advancing into the area. I should probably get one but keep thinking these phones we pay so much for should have the ability to do everything you can do with a programmable weather radio.

jmills

Reaction score
As someone that used to have a weather radio (I haven't replaced the one that I broke yet), I highly recommend that you buy one. Ideally, you should have both. Sometimes cell towers go down and the wx radio can pick up the slack, and sometimes the wx radio broadcast towers go down and the cell phone can pick up the slack.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
As far as something loud enough to wake you up, an actual weather radio is your best bet.

Speaking of apps, the Weather Radio App by WDT has been a little slow on getting me alerts lately. Also, it alerted me the other night when Jefferson County was under a tornado warning even though I wasn’t in the polygon.

kivey2969

Reaction score
I use Baron Critical Weather. You can select which alerts to receive. I downloaded an alert tone that sounds like the NOAA Weather Radio. I have a radio also.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Has anyone with an iPhone ran into the offloading apps issue? When all the warnings and watches were coming out last week I noticed I was no longer getting alerts from WHNT's app. Later found out that the iPhone had offloaded it to give me more space. Thinking about writing a blog about how to prevent that from happening.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I got several notifications last night on my IPhone about this past weekends storms.

kivey2969

Reaction score
I have found that Baron Critical alerts the exact same time as a weather radio. AccuWeather is a close 2nd followed by Live Alert 19, and WAFF First Alert. I live in the Huntsville tv market, so I haven't tried apps from other markets. I also have an Android phone, not iPhone. That could make a difference.

Back