• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Unluckiest Towns/Cities for Tornadoes

What are the unluckiest towns/cities for tornado activity? (can select two responses)

• Oklahoma City/Moore, OK

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Tuscaloosa, AL

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • El Reno, OK

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Codell, KS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanner, AL

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Wichita Falls, TX

• Murfreesboro, TN

• Jonesboro, AR

• Jackson, TN

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

gregassagraf

Reaction score
1985 in general was such a crazy tornado year, thanks for sharing that video. I do know there was at least one tornado in the USSR during the same year, albeit nowhere near as destructive as the 1984 event.
Also there is an Wikipedia article on this 1985 tornado that mentions another tornado from 1874, bringing the total to 4 tornadoes, although am still to find any other references about this event!

gregassagraf

Reaction score
1985 in general was such a crazy tornado year, thanks for sharing that video. I do know there was at least one tornado in the USSR during the same year, albeit nowhere near as destructive as the 1984 event.

Also, Canoinhas, Brazil was hit in 1948 and in 2013:

Video about the 2013 event.

Actually. I think, at least here in Brazil you have a bunch of cities that were hit multiple times:
São Francisco de Paula 2003 and 2017
Campinas, 1995 and 2016

(Watch until the end)
Etc…

Reaction score
Braggadocio, MO (Pemiscot County) was where the paths of the April 2006 Marmaduke-Caruthersville F3 (shoulda-been F4) and 12/10/21 Tri-state EF4 crossed. Two died there in a vehicle in the 2006 event, and a nine-year-old girl died there in the more recent tornado.

Last edited:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I voted OKC and Tanner. Kind of tough specifying cities, but hard to argue that these areas aren't where overall you'll likely see the most and the most intense tornadoes through history. Of them all, north central AL is the last place I'd want to be in tornado season due to limited visibility and sparse population outside of cities to confirm what radar might indicate as a tornado.

Phil

Reaction score
So Pampa, Texas has been hit by violent tornadoes more than once. We're all familiar with the 1995 one that hit the industrial but not as many of us know about the 1982 tornado that also hit the industrial park. Perhaps there's some sort of other "Tornado Corridor" in that region of Texas?

I wonder what the unluckiest address/landmark is for tornadoes, given this. Any houses/businesses or landmarks in Moore, OK or Tanner, AL or somewhere in Mississippi that have been struck by EF3+ tornadoes over and over again?

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So Pampa, Texas has been hit by violent tornadoes more than once. We're all familiar with the 1995 one that hit the industrial but not as many of us know about the 1982 tornado that also hit the industrial park. Perhaps there's some sort of other "Tornado Corridor" in that region of Texas?

I wonder what the unluckiest address/landmark is for tornadoes, given this. Any houses/businesses or landmarks in Moore, OK or Tanner, AL or somewhere in Mississippi that have been struck by EF3+ tornadoes over and over again?

Reading the report on Pampa I was amazed to see the column bases ripped off or their anchor bolts o_O Though not any specific addresses, the Anderson Hills subdivision in Harvest AL has been hit numerous times by strong and weak tornadoes; locals know it a a "tornado magnet"

Phil

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
Just a few corrections/additions
-----

Xenia was also hit by: An F3 in 1933 and an F2 in 1989.

Moore was also hit by: An F3 in 1973.

Haysville/McConnel AFB was also hit by: An F3 one month after the initial Andover tornado, and by an EF3 in 2012.

Andover again EF3 on 4/29/22

Back