• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Thread clarity discussion

Reaction score
So, I started getting us off-track in a recent storm thread by posting this, so I'll repost here for discussion:

Can I request that we not post photos from different storms in specific storm threads? I know it's not a rule, but if people post photos from various other storms in a specific storm's thread, it makes it hard to know what is damage from this specific storm and what's not. If you want to compare to Matador, maybe post a link to a post in the Matador thread with those photos instead of directly posting the images here? Apologies if I'm out of line with this, it just feels very confusing to have images from previous tornadoes in a thread for a specific (and different) event.

Also, if we want to hash out ratings of previous storms, there's a separate thread for that?

Additionally, I wanted to respond to this point that @jiharris0220 made!

These are all pictures from the matador thread, I don’t see any harm in one time posting previous tornadoes from a different thread if it’s for reference purposes.

It’s much better to just showcase the photos to save people the time of fishing through a whole thread.

Though I guess it all comes down to personal preferences.

If the photos are in a thread already, you can link to that specific post so folks don't have to dig through the whole thread but so it's clear that the photos are from a different thread (and thus different event).

Like this:

Each post has a little triangle "share" icon you can click to get the link to directly link to it! It's a really useful feature.

But yeah, especially if I'm coming back to look at a thread in a few years to see what happened with Greenfield (or any other event), I'd really be frustrated by posts that have images that turn out not to be from the storm I'm looking in to, or discussing different storm systems, but again, that's my personal preferences and I know others might feel differently. Not trying to start any sort of drama or anything, I just have really appreciated going through old threads here and on other forums for older events, and these are the kind of things that would trip me up if I encountered them.

Back