• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

The Weather Channel retiring the name Dixie Alley.

Liberty4dayz

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If this is the wrong thread admin, please help. I haven't ever started a thread. I wanted to see what weather folks like us think.

Last edited:

Liberty4dayz

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't watch it anymore, hadn't in years. This is the first place to ban Dixie Alley...there will be more. The name is all over twitter do the action later this week. I just wanted to see how anyone else felt. I try not to be political...like...ever. this is ridiculous though...I take it personally. Lol.

Kim30

Reaction score
Just because something isn't offensive to us doesn't mean it isn't for others. Perhaps we should listen instead of disregarding how other people feel. If changing a name can promote progress and unity, then why not?

Liberty4dayz

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Point taken. I'm all for listening, it's just I think if we start censoring things that offend others, nothing will be left. It's a slippery slope. That's not even taking into account who gets to decide what is offensive and what is not. These days are full of massive over correction. I'll leave it at that, any further and this conversation would belong in the politics section.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's not censorship if they chose to do it themselves. Nobody forced them to do it against their will. In any case, it's a relatively unimportant issue compared to the other significant flaws TWC has right now, namely the fact that you can't rely on them to actually be covering the weather during severe weather events. Showing reruns of "reality" shows instead of providing weather coverage is completely indefensible. It's sad to see them get to this level because watching TWC as a kid was one of the things that got me into weather in the first place.

Forks

Reaction score
Just because something isn't offensive to us doesn't mean it isn't for others. Perhaps we should listen instead of disregarding how other people feel. If changing a name can promote progress and unity, then why not?
People are always looking for new things to be offended by. Trying to appease a never-ending thirst for a world of sunshine and rainbows, where no one is ever offended by anything, gets more than a bit tiresome.

If anything, constantly giving into these inane demands sets back progress and unity. It is a source of division.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm honestly in favor of discarding the concept of tornado "alleys" altogether. I don't think it serves a useful scientific purpose and it might actually be detrimental because it gives people who live outside the defined "alleys" a false sense of security. Understanding the regional seasonality of tornadoes and the characteristics of tornadoes in different parts of the country obviously has scientific value, but creating arbitrary geographic delineations and arguing over what to call them doesn't.

gangstonc

Reaction score
People are always looking for new things to be offended by. Trying to appease a never-ending thirst for a world of sunshine and rainbows, where no one is ever offended by anything, gets more than a bit tiresome.

If anything, constantly giving into these inane demands sets back progress and unity. It is a source of division.
There was no demand here. TWC simply did what they wanted.

Evan

Reaction score

I take your point, however, I cannot possibly understand how the mere reference to a historical geographic term for the South is offensive. Yes, we should be sensitive to things that are disrespectful or intentionally offensive. The term "Dixie Alley" is not offensive just like "Dixie Stampede" was not either. Just because a few people find something offensive doesn't mean that it is broadly offensive to society at large.

Besides, asking people to "listen" is an ableist term that is offensive to those who have hearing impairments. I would've suggested you use a term like "understand" or "comprehend" but that's offensive to people with cognitive impairments or intellectual disabilities.

Maybe we should just not use any words at all because isn't the imposition of literacy and language by educated people potentially offensive to cultures who lack literacy or alien races who cannot communicate verbally?

Reaction score
It's not censorship if they chose to do it themselves. Nobody forced them to do it against their will. In any case, it's a relatively unimportant issue compared to the other significant flaws TWC has right now, namely the fact that you can't rely on them to actually be covering the weather during severe weather events. Showing reruns of "reality" shows instead of providing weather coverage is completely indefensible. It's sad to see them get to this level because watching TWC as a kid was one of the things that got me into weather in the first place.

Indeed. IMO they should be as good as a local station, at least during the big events. They had declined considerably from their '90s heyday even by a decade ago but did well on 4/27, with Greg Forbes showing close-ups of the Cordova and Tuscaloosa cells on Gibson Ridge. I tuned in during the outbreak last Thursday when the first significant tornado was already ongoing and nothing.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Indeed. IMO they should be as good as a local station, at least during the big events. They had declined considerably from their '90s heyday even by a decade ago but did well on 4/27, with Greg Forbes showing close-ups of the Cordova and Tuscaloosa cells on Gibson Ridge. I tuned in during the outbreak last Thursday when the first significant tornado was already ongoing and nothing.
Yeah, the decline in quality has been noticeable, especially in the last ten years, and that's when they even bother to cover events at all. There's really no excuse for them to not be live throughout any major severe event. Otherwise what's the point of having a 24/7 weather channel? I pretty much never turn it on anymore (aside from hurricane coverage, which is still of decent quality, usually) because there's no reason to.

Logo 468x120
Back