• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

The Official TalkWeather 2017 Solar Eclipse Thread

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Talk is starting to pickup in advance of the upcoming solar eclipse on August 21st. This thread is for any related articles, discussions, personal plans, etc. related to the eclipse.

Personally, I have considered heading up to areas north of Nashville but concerns about excessive traffic from people with the same idea has kept me from making any hard plans. The following article confirms those thoughts. Plus, we are close enough in North Alabama we should get a pretty decent show ourselves. I can remember the 1979 eclipse that traversed the Pacific northwest and that won't come close to what we'll experience being much closer to the path of totality this time around.

https://www.space.com/37234-expect-solar-eclipse-traffic-jams.html

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2Ny8wMDIvb3JpZ2luYWwvdG90YWwtc29sYXItZWNsaXBzZS1hdWcuanBlZw==

• Admin

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Weather will determine what you do, and what you see.

• Admin

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I work in Decatur and wish I could manage a way to drive up to Nashville to see the eclipse in totality.

I just wonder if it will be worth it with all the expected traffic considering we're already in a pretty good spot.

• Admin

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
True. I can't do it. I'm a college teacher, and as luck would have it, 8/21 is the first day of classes. Also as luck would have it, my only class that day meets at 12:30PM!!!

Day 1 class to be held outside. Problem solved!

Ray

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4WNP
I just wonder if it will be worth it with all the expected traffic considering we're already in a pretty good spot.
Although the eclipse will be 90% in Huntsville and Birmingham it won't be much of a show. It may turn like a cloud passing for a few seconds, possibly making for a, somewhat, eerie light, but nothing spectacular. Of course you can always look at the sun through approved glasses or do the pin hole trick with a piece of cardboard and see the action.

I attended and photographed the annular eclipse visible in totality from near Montgomery back in 1984 and it was one of the most interesting experiences that I have had in my lifetime. I made up my mind then to see this eclipse if I was still alive and well and the Lord willing. It looks like I may make it. I'm told that being in the path of totality on a full eclipse, such as this one, is an experience like no other. I have a travel trailer and have had reservations for quite sometime north of Nashville, so I should have one up on the splurge of traffic that is expected.

Some of you youngsters might get another chance in April of 2024 (if I see that one I'll consider myself fortunate indeed) or in August of 2044, but you will have to travel up to Montana or N. Dakota to see that one. If you miss both of those, you will have another chance in August of the following year. I'll be viewing those last two from above for sure.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That's awesome Ray. You're doing it the right way ~ hunker down and hang out for awhile while the madness clears itself out.

Daryl

Reaction score
SW Kentucky will be the sweet spot.From Space.com

Kentucky
The shadow will cross through the southwest part of the Bluegrass State between 1:22 and 1:30 p.m. local time (CDT). About 590,000 people live inside the zone of total eclipse, but what makes Kentucky so special is that a spot between the towns of Princeton and Hopkinsville — along Cerulean Hopkinsville Road (Route 624) and just to the east of the intersection with J Stewart Cemetery Road — is where astronomers predict that the point of "greatest eclipse" will occur. That's where the axis of the moon's dark shadow cone passes closest to the Earth's center. Here, totality will last 2 minutes and 40.1 seconds, beginning at 1:24 p.m. CDT. That's about 40 seconds longer than the Kentucky Derby!

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Been working with the city of Clarkesville in Northeast Georgia getting a viewing event together. Bit off the center line but still 1m 43s of totality which is plenty. Should be less traffic than on the center line as well.

akt1985

Reaction score
I'm getting confusing info about the safety of the eclipse glasses. Are they saying they may all not be safe, even if certified? Should I make a pinhole box instead to view the eclipse?

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting confusing info about the safety of the eclipse glasses. Are they saying they may all not be safe, even if certified? Should I make a pinhole box instead to view the eclipse?

If they're certified they are safe. The media is making a MUCH bigger deal about safety than necessary IMO.

Reactions: KoD

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Take a look at the glasses. They should look shiny and semi reflective on the outside and dark black on the inside. Check both sides for scratches and holes. When you look through the glasses you should see NOTHING when looking at everyday objects inside or outside. If all those conditions are met then try looking at the sun for a few seconds. Should just see a white ball. No colors. PS I'm not expert just basing this on personal experience with the Venus transit of the sun a few years ago.

Last edited:

Titan

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
So what are we thinking forecast-wise for cloud cover across KY & TN in the path of totality?

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
If they're certified they are safe. The media is making a MUCH bigger deal about safety than necessary IMO.
The docs at HH we're griping about this the other day.
I was gonna try and go upstairs to the heli pad and setup a tripod to do a timelapse, but I am fearful that if we get a air evac the wind could blow my dslr to the streets. What footage that would be! I will try still but probably with my cell phone ^.^

Back