• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

In Memoriam Talented Storm Chasers Died One Year Ago

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's was a very tragic and needless accident that took away the lives of storm chasers Corbin Jaeger, Kelley Williamson and Randy Yarnall.

I wasn't as familiar with Corbin Jaeger but I read that he was a great guy and loved nature plus the chase.

I was a fan of Kelley and Randy, I liked their laid back style and they didn't seem to take risks.
That's why it will always be a shock to me that the driver was so negligent.

TWC acts as if they never existed and you only heard from Corbin's family a few days after the accident. So it's been the feeling a huge lawsuit has been filed or an agreement was reached.

Hard lesson learned: to be careful out there and obey the traffic laws, it's not worth it.

But let's try to remember the amazing chases, videos and photos these guys captured!!

Rest In Peace!!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather mobile app

DDM

Reaction score
It's hard to believe it's been a year already. Like many, I armchair chased with Kelley for hours on end for the few years he streamed. The accident absolutely killed last year's storm season for me. I just couldn't bring myself to load up Severe Studios knowing that Kelley's name wouldn't be there ever again.

I think I posted this picture when the accident happened but it's worth posting again. This is a screenshot I snapped off Kelley's stream during the Dodge City event in 2016:

minneola1.png

With the rising number of chasers every year and the convergence issues that crop up, it's only a matter of time until something like this happens again. Obey traffic laws and be mindful of others on the road, no storm is worth losing your life over.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
With a growing number of these "wannbe" storm chasers I feel like it's just a matter of time before states or local communities pass laws limiting storm chasers altogether. The "wannbe" storm chasers are the ones who mostly break traffic laws and do the most dangerous stuff. There is a major difference between the storm chasers who are trained or are from universities and those who are only in it for internet views. That accident that killed the three storm chasers was horrible!

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
With a growing number of these "wannbe" storm chasers I feel like it's just a matter of time before states or local communities pass laws limiting storm chasers altogether. The "wannbe" storm chasers are the ones who mostly break traffic laws and do the most dangerous stuff. There is a major difference between the storm chasers who are trained or are from universities and those who are only in it for internet views. That accident that killed the three storm chasers was horrible!
I personally don't see how one can conclude that amateur storm chasers are more likely to break traffic laws than professionals or really anyone else on the road. IIRC Kelly's vehicle was the one that broke traffic laws and ran the stop sign in this particular tragic scenario. Everyone needs to be extremely cautious since increasing enthusiasm and participation in storm chasing is increasing traffic density.

Reaction score
Kelley was the first chaser I ever followed and I had some amazingly memorable armchair chasing moments watching his stream. And yeah, it really is not the same without him. He seemed like a really nice, laid back person as well. Rest in peace.

I personally don't see how one can conclude that amateur storm chasers are more likely to break traffic laws than professionals or really anyone else on the road. IIRC Kelly's vehicle was the one that broke traffic laws and ran the stop sign in this particular tragic scenario. Everyone needs to be extremely cautious since increasing enthusiasm and participation in storm chasing is increasing traffic density.
The rain was pounding down and you really couldn't see clearly more than about 30 feet ahead when the accident happened. Kelley and Randy might just not have seen the stop sign.

Back