• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

StoryMap for Interactive Storytelling?

locomusic01

Reaction score
So, as some of y'all know, I have a little blog where I write about historical weather events - mostly tornadoes/outbreaks. I probably won't be writing any more articles after I finish the one I'm working on now, but I've been thinking about other ways I can scratch that particular itch. One thing I've always thought about doing is creating some sort of interactive map that'd allow me to write little blurbs and add photos for key points. I've always mapped out whatever I'm working on via Google Earth anyway, so it seems like a pretty natural way to display information and sort of contextualize an event.

Anyhow, ArcGIS has some neat tools for doing that, but I'm not inclined to pay that much for a little side project. The next best thing I've found so far, I think, is StoryMapJS. So, my question(s): has anyone used this before? Any experience making something similar to what I described? Or suggestions for a more suitable program?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I haven't but I love this tool!!!! I so could have used this about 2 years ago! I've tried several tools but nothing as good as this.

By the way, what is your blog address?

locomusic01

Reaction score
Yeah, I've only had time to fiddle with it a little bit, but it looks great. I'm not sure if it'll be able to do everything I'd like to do, but it seems really simple and quick to use. Most others I've seen so far are either too involved for what I want or not very visually appealing.

Edit: Whoops, my blog is https://stormstalker.wordpress.com/

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
That "last post" is on the Bridge Creek-Moore tornado, and it's excellent, with lots of multimedia. Will check out the others, too. Here's hoping for more posts, if and when you can!

The ArcGIS story maps won't embed in the Wordpress commercial format, though reportedly they work as a plug-in from the dot-ORG side. Wonder if StoryMap would embed?

locomusic01

Reaction score
That's very kind, thank you!

I checked on embedding a while ago and IIRC it's the same deal as ArcGIS, unfortunately. I'm working on a post on the 5/31/85 tornado outbreak right now, but after that, I think I might do something different. I've been thinking about using StoryMap to put together an overview of the OKC/Moore area's tornado history - it's a bit more limited than I'd hoped, but it should be fine for something like that.

A few people have suggested Patreon or Substack as a way to earn a few bucks and free up more time for new articles, but I dunno how feasible that is with a small audience. Apparently you can also distribute podcasts through Substack, which is nice. Not sure this sort of topic is well-suited to the podcast format but I've always wanted to try it.

Anyway, I'm rambling lol. Sorry about that. I've been enjoying your blog too, by the way!

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Glad to hear there's a new post on the way at yours.

It's real hard to become self-supporting at this. I'm struggling, too. There's so much competition/choice online.

We just have to be patient and grow, I guess.

Will be experimenting soon with premium content on a Wordpress cat-evolution series. Don't know if that blog option is available without an upgrade, but it is on Substack.

I think they allow any multimedia on Substack, not just podcasts. Stayed with Wordpress for the series because I've already got some followers there.

A thought: offer your Patreon supporters, if you do that, a free subscription to your Substack or Wordpress posts, whichever lets you set subscriptions up?

Good luck!

locomusic01

Reaction score
I've never had a Patreon or anything because I never intended to make money with my blog, but it's something I might have to consider if I decide to keep going with it. The articles just take so much time that I can't really do them without turning down paid work, and that's no bueno. 'Course I dunno if people would be willing to sign up anyway, so it may be a moot point.

How long have you had your blog? I think I remember first coming across it several years ago when I was researching the Cascadia Subduction Zone, although it didn't dawn on me until recently.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I've never had a Patreon or anything because I never intended to make money with my blog, but it's something I might have to consider if I decide to keep going with it. The articles just take so much time that I can't really do them without turning down paid work, and that's no bueno. 'Course I dunno if people would be willing to sign up anyway, so it may be a moot point.

How long have you had your blog? I think I remember first coming across it several years ago when I was researching the Cascadia Subduction Zone, although it didn't dawn on me until recently.
If you build it... ;)

A focus on severe weather events should draw people.

Think my blogging began in late 2012 or early 2013. I had tried a little freelancing, but it was hard and writing practice was called for, so I started to blog and enjoyed it. I was working full-time as a medical transcriptionist then and really didn't have the time to do it right until I retired in 2014 (though I managed to do a day-by-day for some of the 1861-1865 war's 150th-year commemoration, too [now stored]).

Flight To Wonder still takes a lot of work, and growth is VERY slow -- but there is growth. The practice has made me a better writer, too, and now there's a little income from the eBooks.

I tried Word Ads for income generation, but it's just pennies per month and they won't pay until the total reaches $100, so I suspended that.

Will see how this premium content thing works out, though I'm not yet at a point in the series to feel comfortable charging people. Maybe when we get to the mammal v. dinosaur rounds.

Are you making any progress with StoryMap?

Back