• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Storm Chasers (your opinions appreciated)

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Do you have a favorite chaser that you watch via live stream? You don’t have to give a name but what catches your eye when you’re alerted to their live streams? What makes you watch this particular person(s)?
Is interaction between you and the chaser important?

What do you not enjoy when watching live streams of chasers?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh how I wish I had a computer fast enough to watch a chaser's live stream without it being a total pain in the you know what.

If I had to pick my favorite chaser(s) (that is still alive) I would have to go with Jeff and Kathryn Piotrowski. They really care about people and you can tell by the way they are on the scene helping storm victims literally minutes after the tornado passes through. Reed Timmer gets great footage too but he is extremely annoying sometimes (no offense Reed).

What I don't like about live chats (and a major reason why I stopped watching YT livestreams) is the often abundance of spammers and aholes saying things like "they deserved it".

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I like anything from Live Storms Media. I know with Brett's team, someone is going to be near the action. I like that they don't try to be the story, they try to capture footage of the story.

• Admin

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh how I wish I had a computer fast enough to watch a chaser's live stream without it being a total pain in the you know what.

If I had to pick my favorite chaser(s) (that is still alive) I would have to go with Jeff and Kathryn Piotrowski. They really care about people and you can tell by the way they are on the scene helping storm victims literally minutes after the tornado passes through. Reed Timmer gets great footage too but he is extremely annoying sometimes (no offense Reed).

What I don't like about live chats (and a major reason why I stopped watching YT livestreams) is the often abundance of spammers and aholes saying things like "they deserved it".
Good info!

I like them as well!!

• Admin

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I like anything from Live Storms Media. I know with Brett's team, someone is going to be near the action. I like that they don't try to be the story, they try to capture footage of the story.
Exactly, the hyperbole and gimmicks that some chasers use, takes away from the experience!! Some of us enjoy the science of watching livestreams…

Reaction score
I don't believe they livestream (although Dan might, at least sometimes), but some chasers that I hold in high regard are "Pecos" Hank Schyma, Skip Talbot and Dan Robinson.

I like them for their quality photography and/or videography, generally safety-conscious, calm, and respectful approach to chasing (if they get dangerously close it's usually by accident, and they make an effort to learn from the experience), and (particularly Skip) effort to write up detailed, entertaining chase accounts for the website.

DDM

Reaction score
I used to watch Kelley Williamson religiously. Still crushed about that. My favorite right now is Brett Adair. He always has a lot of good banter, so his streams are entertaining even when nothing is happening. Jeff Piotrowski is another good shout, but he's so over the top that I usually can't watch him for long.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I prefer surfing to streaming, but have been keeping Ryan Hall Y'all going in the background during the last 2 outbreaks as I surfed for new vids. He does well keeping up with the big picture of things. The few times I streamed actual chases I found most was boring as I am only interested in the action, not the driving. On chasers and video I prefer mature adult commentary or the mute button.

Phil

Last edited:
Back