• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

South Fire

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh how I love fire season...
Southfire-1.jpeg
Southfire-2.jpeg
Southfire-3.jpeg
Southfire-4.jpeg

As of posting this the fire perimeter is about 4-5 miles away from my place of residence, portions of Lytle Creek are under evacuation orders, and the fire has burned about 300 acres with no containment. As of now my town is not under an evacuation order. I just hope this thing doesn't cross the 15

Edit: CAL FIRE says about 500 acres now.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Jeez dude. At what point do you grab your things and go?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Jeez dude. At what point do you grab your things and go?
As I'm not the one who owns the house, it's not my decision to make (but probably too late). Like I said I am rather shocked that the SB County Sheriff hasn't even placed us under a warning yet.

Getting Old Fire and Cedar Fire flashbacks...

Jacob

Reaction score
Dang, best of luck to you in this. Hopefully the winds stay light the next few days and they can keep this relatively contained.

I've been following the Caldor fire the last few days since it is creeping up on Lake Tahoe. I've vacationed there a handful of times so it perked my interest. They are expecting relaxed winds the next couple days up that way, hopefully it is the same near LA.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Dang, best of luck to you in this. Hopefully the winds stay light the next few days and they can keep this relatively contained.

I've been following the Caldor fire the last few days since it is creeping up on Lake Tahoe. I've vacationed there a handful of times so it perked my interest. They are expecting relaxed winds the next couple days up that way, hopefully it is the same near LA.
Thanks man really appreciate it! Fortunately the winds should stay calm through tomorrow, but the increasing temps and decreasing humidity certainly won't help.

Jacob

Reaction score
Has it done much today? I'm not seeing much smoke on satellite and don't see a hot spot on shortwave IR like was there yesterday.

As for the Caldor fire, it's slowly getting closer to Lake Tahoe. Sierra-at-Tahoe is a ski resort SW of the Tahoe Basin, and it has gotten very close to there. It's gone from a smoky afternoon to an orange glow. You can animate the webcam on the link below and choose the time frame. It has gotten very orange in the last half hour.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Has it done much today? I'm not seeing much smoke on satellite and don't see a hot spot on shortwave IR like was there yesterday.

As for the Caldor fire, it's slowly getting closer to Lake Tahoe. Sierra-at-Tahoe is a ski resort SW of the Tahoe Basin, and it has gotten very close to there. It's gone from a smoky afternoon to an orange glow. You can animate the webcam on the link below and choose the time frame. It has gotten very orange in the last half hour.

It's been spreading slowly north to slightly northeastward and we've been placed under an evacuation warning (but not order). It's still visible from my street so I'll post some more photos.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As of writing this the fire is at 900 acres with 10% containment. Can't see any smoke right now but there is a lot of haze. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph through Sunday according to the NWS so we'll have to see how that affects the fire spread. I may post some more photos today.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
20210828_120413.jpg20210828_121628.jpg
Fire season wouldn't be complete without some surprises... This is an entirely new fire much closer to my house that started slightly east of where the Devore Fire (which I started a thread about a while ago) started. The South Fire itself hasn't done much for the past day, it's been sitting at 819 acres with 10% containment and the smoke is not currently visible from my residence.

I don't even think this new fire has a name yet but the fire crews have already jumped on it.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
View attachment 10215View attachment 10216
Fire season wouldn't be complete without some surprises... This is an entirely new fire much closer to my house that started slightly east of where the Devore Fire (which I started a thread about a while ago) started. The South Fire itself hasn't done much for the past day, it's been sitting at 819 acres with 10% containment and the smoke is not currently visible from my residence.

I don't even think this new fire has a name yet but the fire crews have already jumped on it.
So this new fire is the Roadside Fire. As of 7 minutes ago the fire is sitting at 50 acres, with 30% containment.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Fire crews are gaining the upper hand. The South Fire is still at 819 acres but now has 49% containment while the Roadside Fire is still at 50 acres, but with 30-60% containment.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Roadside Fire remains at 30-60% containment while the South Fire is now at 65% containment.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Both fires are now at 100% containment. I think I owe the fire crews a tremendous "THANK YOU!" for working as quick as they could to protect life and property. Unfortunately the South Fire did claim some homes during its 819-acre run.

Back