• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Can anyone link me to a standalone version of the clip that starts at 1:56 in this compilation?

I'd also love to find footage of some pre-2015 Chinese tornadoes, though clips predating the 2015 Foshan EF3 are EXTREMELY hard to come by. At least partially due to the language barrier no doubt, but still more difficult than it ought to be even putting that into consideration. I believe I did mention in a previous post that there's apparently some footage floating around of the 21/3/2013 Guangdong tornado, though I was unable to find it.

On a somewhat unrelated note, scouring YouTube for footage of recent tornado events has become largely futile as clickbaity channels with overly-photoshopped thumbnails have taken over.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Can anyone link me to a standalone version of the clip that starts at 1:56 in this compilation?

I'd also love to find footage of some pre-2015 Chinese tornadoes, though clips predating the 2015 Foshan EF3 are EXTREMELY hard to come by. At least partially due to the language barrier no doubt, but still more difficult than it ought to be even putting that into consideration. I believe I did mention in a previous post that there's apparently some footage floating around of the 21/3/2013 Guangdong tornado, though I was unable to find it.

On a somewhat unrelated note, scouring YouTube for footage of recent tornado events has become largely futile as clickbaity channels with overly-photoshopped thumbnails have taken over.

The standalone version:

gregassagraf

Reaction score
8343118E-BD0A-4CDF-A76B-09FE6F9AB181.jpeg

I know this thread is about historic tornado events, but this is making my stomach hurt. Let’s see though how things develop tomorrow.

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score

One of thr most impressive

1.One of the most impressive footage in China before 2015 have to be 2008 Lingbi tornado in Anhui Province:【2008年安徽灵璧龙卷风,较清晰的视频-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/SGmdRgx

2.Also, as one of tornado Alley in china. 2006 Foshan EF3 tornado had some really good footages:【(中国气象频道)2006年佛山西樵龙卷风-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/zb62uD3
It was a regional tornado Outbreak spawned by landfalling typhoon, one of which occurred almost exact same place of the recent EF1 tornado two days ago. That place was exact the heart of the alley.
IMG_20220621_133535.jpg

3.Footage of 2009 Xuzhou tornado was noteworthy as well
【2009年徐州沛县龙卷风-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/0kRnuF9
I experienced strongest thunderstorm in my life that day.

4.2013 Tianchang EF3 was one of few well documented tornado at that time as well.
【2013年7月7日天长市秦栏镇龙卷风-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/1rSwcbU

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One of thr most impressive

1.One of the most impressive footage in China before 2015 have to be 2008 Lingbi tornado in Anhui Province:【2008年安徽灵璧龙卷风,较清晰的视频-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/SGmdRgx

2.Also, as one of tornado Alley in china. 2006 Foshan EF3 tornado had some really good footages:【(中国气象频道)2006年佛山西樵龙卷风-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/zb62uD3
It was a regional tornado Outbreak spawned by landfalling typhoon, one of which occurred almost exact same place of the recent EF1 tornado two days ago. That place was exact the heart of the alley.
View attachment 14678

3.Footage of 2009 Xuzhou tornado was noteworthy as well
【2009年徐州沛县龙卷风-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/0kRnuF9
I experienced strongest thunderstorm in my life that day.

4.2013 Tianchang EF3 was one of few well documented tornado at that time as well.
【2013年7月7日天长市秦栏镇龙卷风-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/1rSwcbU
Awesome finds, much appreciated! I also found some Super Outbreak footage of an unspecified tornado (Shoal Creek Valley, Arab or Cordova would be my guess though) and Moore footage I hadn't seen before, on that site of all places.

Any tornado footage from China from 2011 by any chance? Did a quick search on that site but couldn't find anything. There's got to be at least one instance out there considering there was at least one significant tornado recorded in China that year.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Have you tried contacting that channel owner? I've been subbed there for quite awhile and he used to cooperate on such requests- Idon't know if that is still happening.

Phil

pohnpei

Reaction score
Awesome finds, much appreciated! I also found some Super Outbreak footage of an unspecified tornado (Shoal Creek Valley, Arab or Cordova would be my guess though) and Moore footage I hadn't seen before, on that site of all places.

Any tornado footage from China from 2011 by any chance? Did a quick search on that site but couldn't find anything. There's got to be at least one instance out there considering there was at least one significant tornado recorded in China that year.
2011 wasn't a very active year in terms of tornados in China. Only one footage I can find now which occurred in Shantou, Guangdong Province on June 16 2011.
【2011年6月16日汕头龙卷风-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/cEaOBh7

pohnpei

Reaction score
The final survey report of Czech tornado last year
FV_xvr2XgAIH89x.jpeg
Interestingly, the paper mentioned the problem of inconsisteney damage between vegatation and structures. A guess from mine to explain this is winds wasn't strong enough to destroy some of these sturdy brick houses but instead penetrating through the channels between buildings and thus making winds more compact in certain areas and did stronger damage to vegatations compared to buildings.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
I think that’s just a testament to how much more well-built European homes are compared to how we build them here in the US. There is no doubt that it was violent tornado, but it didn’t level many buildings in typical F4 fashion.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Some highlights from the survey.

Possibly the most violent structural damage along the path here, in Mikulcice. Three homes had F4-rated damage here, and two appear to be largely leveled, with only piles of rubble left. F5 was actually given consideration here per the survey notes.
Mikulcicesurvey1.PNG

Another photo from the area in Mikulice pictured above, but taken from ground level. I believe this is the middle of the three-F4 rated homes.
Mikulcicesurvey2.PNG

Scouring in the same area of Mikulcice as the previous two photos. Topsoil was scoured away here, leaving what appear to be root vegetables (rutabagas or turnips maybe?) exposed.
Mikulcicesurvey3.PNG

More F4-rated damage to well-built masonry/concrete row houses in Mikulcice. The end house on the left has only a portion of a wall around a doorway left standing. The last home on the right appears to be partially leveled, and the second one from the right appears to be completely leveled and partially swept away, with debris strewn up the hillside towards the railroad tracks.
Mikulcicesurvey7.PNG

Large concrete slabs displaced by the tornado, also in Mikulcice. Note the complete debarking of the small trees/shrubs here.
mikulciceslabs.PNG

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Some highlights from the survey.

Possibly the most violent structural damage along the path here, in Mikulcice. Three homes had F4-rated damage here, and two appear to be largely leveled, with only piles of rubble left. F5 was actually given consideration here per the survey notes.
View attachment 14699

Another photo from the area in Mikulice pictured above, but taken from ground level. I believe this is the middle of the three-F4 rated homes.
View attachment 14703

Scouring in the same area of Mikulcice as the previous two photos. Topsoil was scoured away here, leaving what appear to be root vegetables (rutabagas or turnips maybe?) exposed.
View attachment 14704

More F4-rated damage to well-built masonry/concrete row houses in Mikulcice. The end house on the left has only a portion of a wall around a doorway left standing. The last home on the right appears to be partially leveled, and the second one from the right appears to be completely leveled and partially swept away, with debris strewn up the hillside towards the railroad tracks.
View attachment 14705

Large concrete slabs displaced by the tornado, also in Mikulcice. Note the complete debarking of the small trees/shrubs here.
View attachment 14709
I bet if this tornado hit well-built US-type construction homes it would be rated at least HE EF4.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Agreed, it was clearly very violent. I wish the survey mentioned something about this completely leveled brick structure in Mikulcice. Not sure what it was, maybe a row house. Definitely an F4 candidate, but may not have been rated as such given the very obvious vehicle impacts.
dab965d1d4294a0db0068e06bfc4ac47.png

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Agreed, it was clearly very violent. I wish the survey mentioned something about this completely leveled brick structure in Mikulcice. Not sure what it was, maybe a row house. Definitely an F4 candidate, but may not have been rated as such given the very obvious vehicle impacts.
dab965d1d4294a0db0068e06bfc4ac47.png
Which part of town was it in?

buckeye05

Reaction score
Give me a sec. I saw it in an aerial flyover, and it was in a long row of brick homes/buildings at the edge of town, as the tornado entered town I believe. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Yeah I can't seem to find it. It definitely was in Mikculcice though. Here's another angle but I don't know if this helps.
Mikulcicecollapsedbuilding.PNG

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
At the very least I could see an argument for a contextual F5 rating for the Moravia tornado. It certainly reached that intensity at some point; the contextual damage is incredible.

I think if this tornado had hit a subdivision of US homes, particularly tract homes, we would be seeing rows of slabs. Pembroke is a good comparison IMO; the contextual damage wasn't nearly as intense as the Moravia tornado yet well built (by US standards) homes were still slabbed.

Back