• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

buckeye05

Reaction score
Here's a great compilation of the Lippdstadt and Paderborn, Germany tornadoes (it appears they are being listed as separate events per ESWD). The Lippstadt tornado looked like a huge Dixie HP wedge at times. A total of 7 tornadoes have been confirmed from yesterday's outbreak in Europe; 5 in Germany, one in Russia, and one in Netherlands. The two large and damaging German wedges haven't been rated yet.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
I’ve been rewatching this interview with survivors of the tornado that wiped some communities off the face of this world, back in 1989, in the municipality of Ivinhema, Brazil. And one thing that I didn’t noticed back the first time I posted about it here is that about minute 1:38, the interviewee starts to talk about his truck saying that he found the engine block about 130 meters away from its original parking location while the rest of the truck was found one kilometer away.

Also another interviewee at 6:00 mentions about his coffee storeroom which got the concrete flooring ripped off the ground and caused a loss of most of the grains stored in there.

at 10:30, it’s possible to see what was left of this coffee storage facility. There, the tornado probably was at its peek intensity, implied by the worker who took care off the place, which shows that all the coffee trees that was next to the facility got “mowed”, even mentioning the ”wind was so strong that it burned” the plants.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I’ve been rewatching this interview with survivors of the tornado that wiped some communities off the face of this world, back in 1989, in the municipality of Ivinhema, Brazil. And one thing that I didn’t noticed back the first time I posted about it here is that about minute 1:38, the interviewee starts to talk about his truck saying that he found the engine block about 130 meters away from its original parking location while the rest of the truck was found one kilometer away.

Also another interviewee at 6:00 mentions about his coffee storeroom which got the concrete flooring ripped off the ground and caused a loss of most of the grains stored in there.

at 10:30, it’s possible to see what was left of this coffee storage facility. There, the tornado probably was at its peek intensity, implied by the worker who took care off the place, which shows that all the coffee trees that was next to the facility got “mowed”, even mentioning the ”wind was so strong that it burned” the plants.

Wow! Clearly a very violent tornado. I’d assume what he interpreted as “burned trees” was actually debarking.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
I checked and there doesn’t appear to be a scar from the tornado.
yeah, I tried to find any signs of the tornado through google maps, and images from 1989-1990 are very low resolution.
But I'm trying to get more information on the event. I think I found the person who was filming the interview at the time. I'll try to get in contact with him, and hopefully collect more information on this event.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Surveys from the 5/20/2022 outbreak have been completed. 9 tornadoes have been confirmed, including three significant (F2) tornadoes. Both the Lippstadt and Paderborn tornadoes have been rated F2, however, a third F2 was confirmed in the town of Merxhausen, Germany. Multiple homes had major roof damage there, and at least one had a considerable portion of its roof structure ripped off.
FTTAynsWUAE29tk

FTTBMa9WYAAt0fK

buckeye05

Reaction score
Was a bit puzzled by the F2 rating for Lippstadt, as the damage looked fairly minor/moderate, but it turns out the F2 damage occurred in more rural areas to the west of town. I heard that F3 was actually considered in this area, but in the end they went with F2. I also highly recommend tornadomap.org for looking into any recent German tornado events. They provide a detailed breakdown of the damage paths, including ratings, maps, and photos.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tennie

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been brought up yet in this thread or its original equivalent, but here's a pretty good website that can be quite useful for looking up historical tornadoes:

It has a data explorer (click the link labeled "Data Explorer" near the upper right side of the page to access it) that displays the tracks of various historical tornadoes, and can be searchable by time periods, (E)F-scale ratings, etc.

Here's a couple videos that explain how to use the site. The first video introduces the site and how to use it:

The second video shows off a bunch of new features that were implemented after the first video was made (including the ability to plot certain data based off the ERA5 reanalysis):

I hope you can find this stuff useful!

buckeye05

Reaction score
Just had Youtube recommend me this video of a Chinese tornado on the 13th.

Was just about to say, this is around the time that China’s tornado season typically starts to get going (I’d say that May outbreak last year that produced the Shengze and Wuhan EF3s was a bit of a fluke). I doubt it will come close to last year’s season though.

Europe’s season has started off pretty strong between the May 20 and February 17 outbreaks, the second of which was particularly impressive/prolific, and I’m surprised it hasn’t been discussed here. 24 QLCS tornadoes that day, all but one of which were in Poland, and most of which were strong (F2).

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Was just about to say, this is around the time that China’s tornado season typically starts to get going (I’d say that May outbreak last year that produced the Shengze and Wuhan EF3s was a bit of a fluke). I doubt it will come close to last year’s season though.

Europe’s season has started off pretty strong between the May 20 and February 17 outbreaks, the second of which was particularly impressive/prolific, and I’m surprised it hasn’t been discussed here. 24 QLCS tornadoes that day, all but one of which were in Poland, and most of which were strong (F2).
This season had some very poor and late start until the mid of June, dry air and anomalous cold vortex took control for most of the severe weather hot spot region for the past three months.
Anyway, the season is now back to normal. The first sig tor of this season is the one on 6/11 in Inner Mongolia I guess, it collapsed some brick houses and debarked poplar trees. And that day featured a reginoal outbreak in Inner Mongolia with at least 4 confirmed tornadoes

buckeye05

Reaction score
What's the damage in Guangzhou looking like? So far I have only been able to find a photo showing some downed trees in the city, but given the videos, I assume the damage was more severe than that.

Logo 468x120
Back