• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

gregassagraf

Reaction score
648F8EF3-E803-4AC7-937C-7CEB8A8E7A70.jpeg

I wonder if this isolated supercell a couple of weeks ago over Argentina ever produced some tornadoes. It was very isolated and it had such a text-book supercell look that I’m skeptical that it didn’t have a tornado at any moment of its lifecycle.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some more videos of the 2008 Senovo, Bulgaria tornado. It was reportedly on the ground for 55 kilometers, damaging 350 structures and injuring multiple people. Considering the appearance of this thing alone (Cordova 2011 is the best comparison I can make) the damage it caused was relatively light including snapped power poles, minor damage to homes (though some reportedly lost roofs and walls as well) and destroyed farm outbuildings. One unofficial source lists the tornado as an EF2, though I would not be surprised at all if it had violent potential at some point.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Possibly one of the most intense, and sadly poorly documented Bulgarian tornadoes is the June 5, 1989 Bohot tornado. 144 "solid houses" were destroyed, including but not limited to having their second stories sheared off, and at least 186 others were damaged by this 200 meter wide tornado. Beyond that, and two available damage photographs, I could not find any other information including a fatality/injury count, path length, or if any other tornadoes were confirmed that day. It's unfortunate, and rating a tornado based on a short and vague damage description along with just two damage photographs is next to impossible, but this thing was likely an F3, if not an F4.
bohot-1989.JPG

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Well… this just keeps going!
This afternoon, another mesocyclone happened in my hometown. I think this city deserves the title of supercell printer!
And thus far, this was the closest call yet! For more than 8 minutes a major funnel cloud was visible underneath the thunderstorm base.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some tornadoes in Slovenia. According to the American Meteorological Society eight tornadoes were recorded in Slovenia between 1950 and 2015, though the actual number is likely higher.

July 16, 2008

July 7, 2009
60311218.jpg

July 26, 2011
60723918.jpg

June 12, 2012

May 11, 2014 (don't know if this one actually touched down, though a confirmed tornado hit Mahniči in the same year)

buckeye05

Reaction score
Wow! That's the scariest looking German tornado I've seen since Butzow 2015. 30 injuries confirmed at this time, so there's probably going to be major damage. Europe is under a High Risk today, and it sounds like other tornadoes have touched down and caused damage. I haven't been paying attention so this kind of snuck up on me.

Last edited:

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Some tornadoes in Slovenia. According to the American Meteorological Society eight tornadoes were recorded in Slovenia between 1950 and 2015, though the actual number is likely higher.

July 16, 2008

July 7, 2009
60311218.jpg

July 26, 2011
60723918.jpg

June 12, 2012

May 11, 2014 (don't know if this one actually touched down, though a confirmed tornado hit Mahniči in the same year)

I wonder how mountainous terrains interact with tornadogenesis, both against it and also in favor of it.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Germany does get tornadoes fairly regularly. There was one relatively close to me while I was living in Freiburg about 10 years ago and two of the earliest "official" F5s were in Germany (although "officially" rating tornadoes based off surveys that were conducted in the 18th century seems a bit far-fetched to me). At one point I was working on a translation of Gottlob Burchard Genzmer's report on the Woldegk tornado, since there's no English version to my knowledge, but I never finished it.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Well… the more I refine the footage I recorded last Sunday, the more it impresses me. I am not discarding the possibility of this thing having actually made touch down.

What I still don’t understand is how it went from just some dark clouds, while I arrived home from a walk (it didn’t have any impressive features), to 15 minutes later, an impressive mesocyclone. I think the wind shear must have been excessively high, since most of the day we had mild temperatures, not at any moment surpassing the 20°C (about 68°F), with very little sunshine.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wasn't really sure if I should post this in this thread or the Severe Weather 2022 thread, but I can't help but mention this event as being yet another example of tornadoes truly knowing no boundaries. On May 11-12 a small tornado outbreak occurred in Eastern Europe spawning tornadoes in both Russia and Ukraine, which is notable because... reasons.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Well… the more I refine the footage I recorded last Sunday, the more it impresses me. I am not discarding the possibility of this thing having actually made touch down.

What I still don’t understand is how it went from just some dark clouds, while I arrived home from a walk (it didn’t have any impressive features), to 15 minutes later, an impressive mesocyclone. I think the wind shear must have been excessively high, since most of the day we had mild temperatures, not at any moment surpassing the 20°C (about 68°F), with very little sunshine.

That’s at least a funnel cloud, but hard to deduce anything beyond that given the hilly terrain.

Back