• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Wow! I thought they were produced by the same storm because Guaraciaba is about 30 miles away from where the damage in Argentina occurred. And yes, the tree damage in these photos are impressive! The second one has incredible leves of debarking.
In regards to my quoted post I decided to delete it because I speculated too much specially with the EF5 winds statement I made. But I’ve read multiple times that both tornadoes were produced by the same supercell.

But I can confirm that a lot of tornadoes in the region are extremely underrated! Like the one that devastated communities in the municipality of Muitos Capões, in Rio Grande do Sul, back in 2005: it was only rated as an F2, but considering that it leveled brick masonry constructions, it was definitely an EF3+!

View attachment 12007
View attachment 12008
View attachment 12009

Another underrated tornado in south Brazil was the one that devastated the town of Nova Laranjeiras back in 1997! This tornado produces some incredible damage, and maybe it was the strongest tornado of the 1990s in the region! According to news sources at the time, it managed to throw a Beetle (car) more than 160 yards away from where it was originally.

The 1997 Nova Laranjeiras tornado also produced severe damage to a reinforced concrete home. It lost the roof and multiple walls.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Wow! I thought they were produced by the same storm because Guaraciaba is about 30 miles away from where the damage in Argentina occurred. And yes, the tree damage in these photos are impressive! The second one has incredible leves of debarking.
In regards to my quoted post I decided to delete it because I speculated too much specially with the EF5 winds statement I made. But I’ve read multiple times that both tornadoes were produced by the same supercell.

But I can confirm that a lot of tornadoes in the region are extremely underrated! Like the one that devastated communities in the municipality of Muitos Capões, in Rio Grande do Sul, back in 2005: it was only rated as an F2, but considering that it leveled brick masonry constructions, it was definitely an EF3+!

View attachment 12007
View attachment 12008
View attachment 12009

Another underrated tornado in south Brazil was the one that devastated the town of Nova Laranjeiras back in 1997! This tornado produces some incredible damage, and maybe it was the strongest tornado of the 1990s in the region! According to news sources at the time, it managed to throw a Beetle (car) more than 160 yards away from where it was originally.

At about minute 5:34 in the video, there seems to be an impressive foundation damage! At first I thought it was a fallen wall with a sanitary over it for some reason! But now I can see that it was actually the floor of the house! Impressive damage!

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
8397665beeeaa726211c82b646bee6ef-gpLarge.JPG

webtornado.jpg

webtornado2.jpg

vento-Tornado2-FBeltrao.jpg

CJ9VXGkWUAA2UMB

Damage from the 2015 Francisco Beltrão tornado. This tornado likely reached F3 intensity as it leveled small homes, mangled cars, and snapped numerous trees.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Satellite imagery of intense-violent damage from the 2016 Funing tornado.
Area along the Tongyu River:
View attachment 12011
View attachment 12012

The area where it reached peak intensity on radar (82 kts Vrot):
View attachment 12013
View attachment 12014
View attachment 12015
View attachment 12016
What's especially impressive here is how there appears to be violent tier damage from through most of the width of the damage path, rather than limited to a relatively narrow core in the very center like you commonly see with violent tornadoes.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
What's especially impressive here is how there appears to be violent tier damage from through most of the width of the damage path, rather than limited to a relatively narrow core in the very center like you commonly see with violent tornadoes.
Compared to the size of the tornado (maximum of 2.5 miles), the violent core was relatively narrow but still very large.
full-waf-d-17-0085_1-f15.jpg

I also wonder if there are any ground photos from the area where it peaked?

pohnpei

Reaction score
Compared to the size of the tornado (maximum of 2.5 miles), the violent core was relatively narrow but still very large.
full-waf-d-17-0085_1-f15.jpg

I also wonder if there are any ground photos from the area where it peaked?
several footage near radar peak intensity
Dalou village

Danping village

tuqiao village
Overall damage seems to be stronger later parts of its life.

gregassagraf

Reaction score

An interesting thing to note about the Funing tornado is that a museum was built about the tornado. I don’t think there are any other museums of this scale about a single tornado.

China has so much resources it’s impressive!
But what boggles me is how large this tornado got! 2.5 miles wide is just shy of El Reno 2013 tornado.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't know who decided to add more inconsistency to the already inconsistent record, but here goes:

May 22, 2001 - The Perm Oblast, Russia

I did mention this one briefly in a previous post, but didn't do more digging until yesterday, but what I did find seems to confirm it was a straight line wind event, and not a tornado.

Still though, it is bizarre how this source lists a specific path length of 28 kilometers. More confusion arises as the words "смерч" "торнадо" and "ураган" in the Russian language are all interchangeably used to refer to tornadoes. The first two are technically the correct terms, though the word "ураган" (lit. "hurricane") is often used to refer to Russia's straight line wind storms, but is sometimes used to refer to tornadoes as well.

The one thing that is consistent between the sources is that a casualty count of 2 fatalities and 14 injuries is listed. The two fatalities occurred from falling trees.

This source lists all recorded significant tornado and straight line wind events that occurred in the Perm Oblast from 1984 to to 2019. I may do more digging on some of the other confirmed tornadoes later, but for now just this one. The 22/5/2001 event is listed as a straight line wind event and not a tornado, and the only damage photos I could find just show broken windows and roof damage.
perm1.jpg

perm2.jpg

But the source with the photos (here) says homes had their roofs torn off. Not just "roof damage" but that homes actually lost their roofs. And thus more confusion arises. Was it a particularly strong squall line and/or the roofs were constructed like crap? Or did something tornadic actually happen here? Maybe the reports of roofs being torn completely off are exaggerated media reports. It's entirely possible, as we all know the media likes to exaggerate things to get more clicks.

We may never know for sure, but I'm going to take the word of the second source that it was a straight line wind event and not a tornado. It still does make me wonder, though.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
several footage near radar peak intensity
Dalou village

Danping village

tuqiao village
Overall damage seems to be stronger later parts of its life.
The footage from Tuqiao village is not loading for me. Does that footage show any particular impressive cases of damage?

pohnpei

Reaction score
The footage from Tuqiao village is not loading for me. Does that footage show any particular impressive cases of damage?
Oh It was also not loading for me either but once available. More and more links and videos broken as time goes by. I remember this video showed an old man standing in ruins of his house and said to reporter that all his neighbors were died on a live broadcast. The reporter felt embarrassed then interrupted him abruptly, showing widespread house damage nearby.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One of the earliest examples of a tornado recorded in Bangladesh/East India happened on April 8th, 1838 near Calcutta India:
"At Bykunthpore, for about a quarter mile, not a house, hut nor tree escaped the violence of the storm; in fact everything that opposed its progress was leveled to the ground. Coconut and date trees were twisted out of the ground and thrown to a distance of 2-300ft. Chowbagan and Sambandal were hard hit. A slight bamboo was projected horizontally through a raised tile walk., which pierced through the whole breadth—5 feet thick, breaking the tile on both sides. In other villages the visitation has been aweful indeed, but in other places it surpasses all description. As far as the eye could reach, not a house could be seen. The grass ( I am at a loss to account for it) has been consumed, and the choppers[frames] of houses have vanished as if they were mere vapor. Fisherman on the lake returned to their demolished village, with only a few left to account for the occurrence. There was little rain but a severe fall of hail. Hail was measured at 3.5 lbs at the Dum Dum weather observatory near Calcutta. “It appeared to have been remarkable for its slow rate of progress(16 miles in 2 to 3 hours), and it is to this, perhaps, that its unusual destructiveness can be ascribed. A peepul tree, which had been standing time out of mind, and to the knowledge of the older inhabitants had never lost a bough, was the first that fell. The circle from whence the roots sprung, was 35 feet in diameter, and these being of extraordinary length, caused the earth to come away from the tree, and to leave a chasm of about 38 feet in width and 14 feet in depth; most of its stouter branches were wrenched off, and thrown into an adjoining tank, at such a distance to prove the extraordinary violence with which the tree was assailed. The bark of palm trees has been peeled off as with a knife. The villages of Sambandal and Chowbagan have been laid desolate; men, women, and children, as well as animals have died without number."
The few people in the villages who survived the tornado gave this description of it:
On Sunday at about half past two PM, the hurricane came on at first it appeared in a westerly NW direction and to the best of their judgment two dark columns that were visible whirling round and round descending to the earth had the appearance of two huge daityas (or demons) preparing for combat that a second before they were fairly alighted they engaged in mortal strife and agitating the waters of the lake began their work of destruction on land; that such as were in their houses hastened out to witness this wonderful phenomenon and ere they could return to their homes the sudden darkness that overspread the place the howling of the wind and clouds of dust attending it rendered it impossible for them to bear testimony as to which of the two gained the victory. That from the occurrence of the whirlwind to the period it lasted or left these parts it did not occupy twenty minutes and was almost immediately followed by sunshine. There was little or no rain but a severe fall of hail which probably deprived some of life.
content

content

Back