• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

buckeye05

Reaction score
Some of the damage that the Czech F4 caused in Luzice seemed pretty violent to me.

There was a masonry building of some kind that was largely leveled, with few walls left intact.
Luzice2.PNG

Nearby, a cobblestone parking area seems to have been scoured:
cobblestone.PNG

Also, it seems that some of the worst vehicle damage occurred in Luzice. Some cars were badly mangled. Quite a bit of debarking and scouring occurred in this area too:
Luzice5.PNG

pohnpei

Reaction score
Another debark trees coverd with scoured grass from Czech tornado. After closely checking the aerial, I think this was likely in the open field between Hurksy and Moravska.
So I have a guess that this tornado was very violent between one town from another but immediately weakened once It reached town/city then suddenly strengthed after left the town.
FGfcK-1XMAk_p5a.jpeg
Like when It reached Moravska, vegatation seems quite intact overall.
1635172976995.jpg
It also debarked many trees immediately when It out of Mikulcice
220668084_4313948985294268_2402235065133139071_n.jpg
Then gradually weakened when It near next town.
tornado-in-czech-republic-devastates-villages-hrusky-czech-republic-shutterstock-editorial-121...jpg

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Another debark trees coverd with scoured grass from Czech tornado. After closely checking the aerial, I think this was likely in the open field between Hurksy and Moravska.
So I have a guess that this tornado was very violent between one town from another but immediately weakened once It reached town/city then suddenly strengthed after left the town.
View attachment 11783
Like when It reached Moravska, vegatation seems quite intact overall.
View attachment 11784
It also debarked many trees immediately when It out of Mikulcice
View attachment 11785
Then gradually weakened when It near next town.
View attachment 11787
That scouring and debarking is consistent with what you'd see after a pretty high-end event. Also, I believe the Luzice photos I posted earlier were taken a short distance out of frame from that last photo, further west as it was entering Luzice. There appears to be very intense scouring in that field in the last photo as well, but I'm not sure how muddy that field was prior to the tornado. Do you think it is mostly scouring or something else?

pohnpei

Reaction score
That scouring and debarking is consistent with what you'd see after a pretty high-end event. Also, I believe the Luzice photos I posted earlier were taken a short distance out of frame from that last photo, further west as it was entering Luzice. There appears to be very intense scouring in that field in the last photo as well, but I'm not sure how muddy that field was prior to the tornado. Do you think it is mostly scouring or something else?
The damage around this area was definitely weird and tough to rate.
The before satellite and Google street view showed smooth and tidy lawn before the tornado.
IMG_20220113_175754.jpg
IMG_20220113_175841.jpg
There was areas near the centerline of the tornado seemed to have grassed gone but also with pole left standing. Two dozens of cars piled up in front of the factory-esque building very likely came from the parking lot nearby and It was on the right side of tornado's circulation.
tornado-in-czech-republic-devastates-villages-hrusky-czech-republic-shutterstock-editorial-121...jpgtornado-in-czech-republic-devastates-villages-hrusky-czech-republic-shutterstock-editorial-121...jpg
ground view photo showed bizarre damage. Pole left standing with very likely grass scouring and tossed cars. Some muddy feature can be found on some steel strips but not too much. Very little to none grass can be seen on these vehicles and other objects.If grass were indeed largely scoured away where they were? So I tend to thing Tthere were slight scouring there but really not too much. Steel frame factory not collapsed in the core of the tornado.
img-1050.jpeg
img-1063.jpeg

This video captured the exact moment when tornado went through this place. You can see these cars in the parking lot that later would ended up in front of the factory.Winds were really strong later parts of the video.
The rough place of the uploader
IMG_20220113_192339.jpg
I think the synthetized video posted several pages above may can explain the reason of likely abrupt intensity change in its path: The tornado seems to be not fully condensed at times from the beginning to end. So the circulation was easier to be effected by rugged surface in towns and cities.
Another impressive structure damage in this area with its second floor largely destroyed.
dsc-5683.jpeg

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The annual report will come out around early March. But I guess EF3 was likely the final rating. It kinds like the forever"preliminary" EF4 rating of Mayfield which we all know was the final rating actually.
Are the people who rate these tornadoes becoming more and more conservative?

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The before satellite and Google street view showed smooth and tidy lawn before the tornado.
View attachment 11789
View attachment 11790
There was areas near the centerline of the tornado seemed to have grassed gone but also with pole left standing. Two dozens of cars piled up in front of the factory-esque building very likely came from the parking lot nearby and It was on the right side of tornado's circulation.
View attachment 11793View attachment 11794
ground view photo showed bizarre damage. Pole left standing with very likely grass scouring and tossed cars. Some muddy feature can be found on some steel strips but not too much. Very little to none grass can be seen on these vehicles and other objects.If grass were indeed largely scoured away where they were? So I tend to thing Tthere were slight scouring there but really not too much. Steel frame factory not collapsed in the core of the tornado.
View attachment 11795
View attachment 11796

This video captured the exact moment when tornado went through this place. You can see these cars in the parking lot that later would ended up in front of the factory.Winds were really strong later parts of the video.
View attachment 11798
I think the synthetized video posted several pages above may can explain the reason of likely abrupt intensity change in its path: The tornado seems to be not fully condensed at times from the beginning to end. So the circulation was easier to be effected by rugged surface in towns and cities.
Another impressive structure damage in this area with its second floor largely destroyed.
View attachment 11797

It does appear there was some grass/mud splattering on vehicles in that area.
6797E0D4-C32C-4898-8F18-10DA3EEFDB8E.jpeg7FBBD138-D315-4C6F-B854-DD07AF13C93E.jpegA8513B13-3BB9-4B8E-8B2A-D88F71BAADE1.jpegE6B8B23F-6E36-4554-9F77-080B6664CF71.jpeg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah by now I'm pretty convinced the Moravia tornado was capable of causing pockets of F5/EF5 damage given incredible context, though likely peaked in an area with no structures.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Are the people who rate these tornadoes becoming more and more conservative?
Not a defender, but Chinese tornado damage research is still in its initial stage, they haven't got enough experience and professionalism to classify or distinguish EF3 to EF4 damage in Chinese tornadoes as far as I know.And Baochang tornado might the first one for them to have a close call with ground scouring.
I'm not surprised to see it finally gets an EF3 rating (According to a report in 2020, they've downgraded one of the Chifeng tornado to EF3, which means they have no idea what an EF3 or EF4 should be like).
mmexport1642099059988.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
Not a defender, but Chinese tornado damage research is still in its initial stage, they haven't got enough experience and professionalism to classify or distinguish EF3 to EF4 damage in Chinese tornadoes as far as I know.And Baochang tornado might the first one for them to have a close call with ground scouring.
I'm not surprised to see it finally gets an EF3 rating (According to a report in 2020, they've downgraded one of the Chifeng tornado to EF3, which means they have no idea what an EF3 or EF4 should be like).
View attachment 11806
I’m curious, which Chifeng tornado got downgraded? I’m assuming the first or second, as the third seems like it was the most violent of the three based on damage descriptions.

buckeye05

Reaction score
View attachment 11789
View attachment 11790
View attachment 11793View attachment 11794
View attachment 11795
View attachment 11796

View attachment 11798
View attachment 11797

Well, I think its safe to say that field was indeed scoured, and I also think I have an answer for where all the scoured grass went. It appears to have been piled against the base of the factory building.
Luzicefactory2.PNG

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1636908554814.jpg

203781165_2003793433107303_9202658855908959473_n.png

download

206976409_3067975443438659_8252427875852749526_n.jpg

More intense damage from the Hodonin tornado.

Last edited:

Robinson lee

Reaction score
我好奇,赤峰龙降级了?
I once thought that the third of the three tornadoes in Chifeng was the strongest one, but now I have changed my view. The second tornado almost completely collapsed a row of carefully built houses and left only the trunk of large hardwood trees. I once thought that this tornado might not have the strength of ef4, And considering that the first tornado leveled the carefully made brick house and threw the oil tank for a long distance, I now think the intensity of these three tornadoes is close or equivalent截图_2022_0114_073429.png截图_2022_0114_073608.png截图_2022_0114_073623.png

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
An interesting area of damage from the Hodonin tornado that I don't think I've seen any photos of this area. Looks like some homes were leveled or destroyed with some wind-rowing of debris. These homes were extremely new and located in SW Mikulčice. They weren't there in 2019 imagery.
unknown.png

Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 20-32-54 Letecká dokumentace škod po tornádu na Moravě z 24 6 2021.png

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I'm personally skeptical of the F5 rating for the 1930 Montello tornado. While large stone buildings were severely damaged, the vegetation damage right next to the buildings is not really what you would expect for an F5. Some of the trees aren't even defoliated. Also, I'm not sure if the structural damage is bad enough as usually F5 damage for these types of structures would it being completely leveled. While I do think this tornado deserves an F4 rating I don't think it was an F5.
E3BtSeFXIAIPVZT

E3BtSeGWUAQYMc7

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Montello-quel-disastroso-ciclone-del-1930_opengraph.png

08052017_Montello_tornado_4.png

111578774_1156400088086351_1632436845519446996_n.png

11728779_859274310788621_6208419594708536891_o.png

ciclone-del-montello-3-768x492.png

65272258_2085344018261687_9109411681020149760_n.jpg

Last edited: