• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

buckeye05

Reaction score
Trees around this house was mostly intacr and houses around this house was no more than low end 2 damage. The heavier material didn't necessary means stronger construction. There were other places Czech tornado was very violent where trees were fully denuded and debarked but I would be hesitate to this one based on contextual.
Oh ok in terms of contextual tree damage you may be right about that.

But just based on past events, one shouldn't expect the same degrees of structural failure to surrounding buildings after a European F4 event, due to the typically sturdier construction. Because of this, damage in European towns and cities always looks a little underwhelming compared to the intensity of the tornado. I do realize that heavier doesn't equal sturdier, but these buildings are typically built with load-bearing masonry walls that have some degree of reinforcement. We aren't dealing with the typical unreinforced, non load-bearing CMU that we see so much of here in the US, so I'm pretty sure the surrounding buildings endured higher winds than low-end F2. Compare to other European F4s, most notably Dolo-Mira, Italy 2015 or Hautmont, France 2008. Very similar damage patterns.

Last edited:

Robinson lee

Reaction score
I think that's just the manner in which these types of homes collapse. In cases of DOD9 damage to brick/masonry frame homes in Asia and Europe, small pieces of exterior walls tend to remain intact, especially the corners of the structure. The same type of failure can be seen in many of the masonry homes collapsed in the Funing EF4 of 2016. Many of the leveled homes had small sections of exterior wall corners standing, though that one was more violent I'd say, and there were some homes that were truly, completely flattened by the Funing tornado.

But I don't think that is typical, and generally, one shouldn't expect total flattening when it comes to F4 damage to well-built brick or masonry structures in violent European tornadoes. I mean just recently, many EF4 ratings were applied to many buildings in downtown Mayfield, KY, but only a few of those, if any of them, had zero walls or wall portions left standing.
Yes, that's right. I agree with you about this kind of damage to brick houses. For some brick houses in Europe / Asia, there are adhesions between the brick structures of the houses. Therefore, even if they completely collapse, they will not be completely ineffective unlike those in the United States. Some structures still play a supporting role, so some external / internal walls will still stand, Moreover, because such houses are heavier, debris will remain in place in many cases. Examples include 2015 Mira tornado

images (44).jpeg
The large two-story house did not really collapse completely, but it was still rated ef4

Attachments

• DhlD51gXUAA8Mtm.jpeg
    DhlD51gXUAA8Mtm.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0

buckeye05

Reaction score
Yes, that's right. I agree with you about this kind of damage to brick houses. For some brick houses in Europe / Asia, there are adhesions between the brick structures of the houses. Therefore, even if they completely collapse, they will not be completely ineffective unlike those in the United States. Some structures still play a supporting role, so some external / internal walls will still stand, Moreover, because such houses are heavier, debris will remain in place in many cases. Examples include 2015 Mira tornado

View attachment 11738
The large two-story house did not really collapse completely, but it was still rated ef4
Yes exactly. A general piece of guidance is that in the US, heavy brick or masonry construction materials here are generally for visual aesthetic, and rarely provide any kind of additional structural integrity, as masonry or brick-frame structures are pretty much never built here anymore. Instead, the brick or masonry is usually as a veneer or a non load-bearing, unreinforced wall. These fail easily, and catastrophically, sometimes in winds as low as EF1. However in Europe, heavy construction materials have much more significance in terms of how strong a building is, as these walls are usually a major part of the building's structural integrity, rather than a decorative addition. In these cases, the walls usually are reinforced and load-bearing in some way, and that is an important distinction.

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score

View attachment 11738
This one called RECAS dod on EU's scale. Based on the corresponded description, It may very near EF5 rating(dod5) on EU's standard.
IMG_20220113_074701.jpgIMG_20220113_074724.jpg
close up
typical thick walls that you can anticipate in EU. The building seems quite old.
2c24eb76cd83e32f.png

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

buckeye05

Reaction score
While on this topic, I want to re-share a photo another user posted. This strong masonry house was destroyed by the 2013 Argelato, Italy tornado and was a source of rating dispute, as some Italian damage surveyors felt that the total obliteration of the home’s upper floors warranted F4. In the end, a high-end F3 rating was assigned, but a strong argument for F4 can be made.
0BB464B3-0980-43FF-960F-22DDCE19018A.png

Interestingly enough, two years later, another masonry house across from Villa Fini in Dolo, Italy sustained the exact same type of damage, but this time, received an F4 rating. Goes to show that rating consistency problems aren’t limited to the US.

pohnpei

Reaction score
The mortar in between the bricks was apparently very old and of poor quality (it was described as "sandy")
Yes. These are things add to my hesitation on EU tornados' rating. Like many buildings were quite old from there, even with heavy material, the connection between these materials were already weakened as times goes by. Mira tornado's structure damage was especially impressive at a first glance but when I looked closely on contextual, trees behind wasn't debarked and vehicles wasn't in bad shape. So maybe poor quality contributed to the Incredible damage there.

buckeye05

Reaction score
There were definitely some vehicles that were thrown into canals in Dolo and Mira, but I don’t know from what distance they traveled.

pohnpei

Reaction score
There were definitely some vehicles that were thrown into canals in Dolo and Mira, but I don’t know from what distance they traveled.
Yes They were.
d74e551a0d4aaefe.jpg
One thing that I think may can be used as a comparsion in terms of intensity from county to county was the shurb damage
Shurbs looks OK in front of the EF4 structure?
75d800b6f608772f.png
Seemingly more sturdy house not far this building. Very impressive damage.
49d59de637685464.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Yes They were.
View attachment 11743
One thing that I think may can be used as a comparsion in terms of intensity from county to county was the shurb damage
Shurbs looks OK in front of the EF4 structure?
View attachment 11744
Seemingly more sturdy house not far this building.
View attachment 11745
Another rather conservative study that rated the 2015 Mira tornado listed the bottom house as the maximum DI along the path. It was given HE EF3.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Another rather conservative study that rated the 2015 Mira tornado listed the bottom house as the maximum DI along the path. It was given HE EF3.

Several similar types of building destruction that I can think of in recent years. It seems quite tough to rate these houses because these were not many cases that can be compared in US.
16 Funing
Second floor of this residence leveled . House reinforced with steels.
9510004654rp9o58253.jpg
The car was tossed 150m ended up smashed a brick wall of the house with its body mangled.
IMG_20220113_084047.jpg
19 Havana
thin steel may used here. Second floor largely destroyed.
R-C (2).jpeg
13 Bangledesh
Those pillars contained vertical steels
mmexport1642034508357.jpg
20 Czech
Likely more newly built and seemingly sturdy building in Hursky
1636509637660.jpg
2015 Mexico tornado
Maybe one of the strongest outside of US
Vehicle tossed everywhere onto the roof or
wrapped around houses of this one
steel reinforced CMU walls
e2a48e2b908f7bde.jpg

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
2015 Mexico tornado often got overlooked. It probably had one of the most intense vehicle damage outside of US, along with San Justo 1973. People often amazed at bus damage in Rainsville, but look at this
1d51a86591282674.png
Residence with thick concrete walls contained steels collapsed
5a907d6edf9fc202.png
Vehicles tossed outside of the town

d39c2fa7748d3b37.png
Mangled vehicles collected from the town Many of them were from top of the roof.
88b2f674d927fba9.png87d725634c2f6efc.pngfc60f7fec9b440d3.png8f8d7fad3df03fa7.png
Small pieces of people's body can be seen in some videos that I won't post photos obviously.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Other photos from the 2015 Ciudad Acuna tornado, the tornado seems to have been pretty narrow.
635681616458247111-acuna-tornado-bus_1779333_ver1.0.jpg
1432576837_004765_1432622781_album_normal.jpg
tornado-mexico-may-2015-3.jpg
acunatornado2.jpg
a3-1.jpg

Robinson lee

Reaction score
Two violent tornadoes, Baochang and Czech tornadoes, occurred on the same day before December 10 last year. Obviously, this is another interesting linkage. We pay too much attention to Czech tornadoes and lack attention to Baochang tornadoes, but now some evidence shows that this tornado is not necessarily much worse than Czech tornadoes
ac62c6850da39d1269abaa5bc366e3d34dda41554089a8fc4cf4091882cc3b9b.0.PNGmmexport1642046439115.pngScreenshot_2022_0113_120153.pngScreenshot_2022_0113_120056.pngScreenshot_2022_0113_120113.pngScreenshot_2022_0113_115646.png
mmexport1642047223388.jpg
The tornado completely peeled hardwood trees and caused obvious erosion of fields and grasslands. A pickup truck was seriously distorted, and several large brick houses were completely blown by the tornado. The tornado also caused extensive peeling in a forest after leaving the village, leaving only the trunk of a large number of trees, This tornado is obviously the strongest tornado in China since Funing tornado in 2016, and stronger than Kaiyuan tornado in 2019 and Chifeng tornado in 2017

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022_0113_121240.png
    Screenshot_2022_0113_121240.png
    307.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2022_0113_120153.png
    Screenshot_2022_0113_120153.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 0

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Two violent tornadoes, Baochang and Czech tornadoes, occurred on the same day before December 10 last year. Obviously, this is another interesting linkage. We pay too much attention to Czech tornadoes and lack attention to Baochang tornadoes, but now some evidence shows that this tornado is not necessarily much worse than Czech tornadoes
View attachment 11771View attachment 11772View attachment 11773View attachment 11775View attachment 11776View attachment 11777
View attachment 11779
The tornado completely peeled hardwood trees and caused obvious erosion of fields and grasslands. A pickup truck was seriously distorted, and several large brick houses were completely blown by the tornado. The tornado also caused extensive peeling in a forest after leaving the village, leaving only the trunk of a large number of trees, This tornado is obviously the strongest tornado in China since Funing tornado in 2016, and stronger than Kaiyuan tornado in 2019 and Chifeng tornado in 2017
Yeah that tornado was very violent, probably one of the most violent tornadoes of 2021 excluding the tornadoes from 12/10-11. The debarking in the 2nd to last photo is very impressive.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Has the Baochang/Jianguo tornado officially been upped to EF4? I thought I heard it was officially rated high-end EF3 last time I asked about. Not that I agree with that, as it was clearly violent.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Has the Baochang/Jianguo tornado officially been upped to EF4? I thought I heard it was officially rated high-end EF3 last time I asked about. Not that I agree with that, as it was clearly violent.
The annual report will come out around early March. But I guess EF3 was likely the final rating. It kinds like the forever"preliminary" EF4 rating of Mayfield which we all know was the final rating actually.

Back