• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather TV coverage from past events...

Jonathan Burleson

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I've been looking back at some of the data from the famous and deadly Henryville, Indiana Tornado. The local TV coverage was excellent that day overall, in the Louisville, TV Market. In the end, of course I'm unaware of who "won" the ratings that day, but for those of you who've studied it, I am interested as to how you think the coverage was handled by the local stations on that very dangerous day. Just because we don't have severe weather staring us down the face right now, doesn't mean that we can't and shouldn't continue to study from past events. Remember, the past does indeed usually repeat itself.

To look just on the outside, it would appear that WHAS wasn't the "leader" although their coverage seemed to be wonderful. During the Super Outbreak of 74, they were indeed the leader. It looks like WAVE 3 and FOX 44 were the leaders that day, but as stated above, even WLKY did a wonderful job as well. You have a situation where all 4 main networks have great severe weather tools, and the proper policies to implement those tools when the time comes.

I'm just trying to get the ball rolling on what I think could be an interesting conversation, not only about this event, but many similar events that have happened over the past couple of decades.

Jonathan Burleson
Meteorologist
#3COUNTYWEATHER

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think Gary England's coverage of the May 3rd 1999 Moore, Oklahoma (KWTV OKC) tornado ranks up there near the top. That whole outbreak was pretty well done from the best I can remember by that station.

Jonathan Burleson

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
No doubt all the OKC stations were on their game during the above-mentioned outbreak. In particular, I'm talking about things that were done well, and things that were done better, by the Louisville, TV Market during the Henryville, Tornado. Louisville has been a very weather savvy market ever since April 3rd, 1974. Either way, thank you for your input! :)

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Welcome Jonathan:
For those that may not know, Jonathan was a member on the old TW forum. He’s been phenomenal over the years with severe weather forecasting on the forum. He was mentored by a great meteorologist and has been on air and behind the scenes at various TV stations.

Jonathan...we may need to see some videos of the coverage that day. A lot of us study the event but not the coverage unless we’re in or have been in the broadcast business as you.

All I’ve seen are videos of the tornado via mostly the school security cameras.

If you want, post some coverage videos and we can study and discuss!!

CalebRoutt

Reaction score
Marc Weinberg, Jay Cardosi, & Kevin Harned (among others) did an amazing job that day. The Lexington & Hazard stations did very well also. Here’s some coverage of the West Liberty EF3, Salyersville High-end EF3, and Laurel County EF2. Jim Caldwell who at the time was the chief at WYMT was born & raised in Salyersville. Chris Bailey who’s now at WKYT is also from there. Chris was in West Virginia at the time.

Lex 18 Pt.1:

Lex 18 Pt. 2:

WYMT:

Back