• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

vanni9283

Reaction score
I just wonder what makes most NWS offices will go with a 165 mph EF3 instead of a low-end EF4. They seem like there about the same thing.
I will say this. Common sense to me suggests EF4 intensity. However the building damage only suggests EF3 due to the lack of quality construction. I think with the way the EF-scale is used nowadays, building construction supersedes common sense when it comes to NWS offices determining a final rating.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Nothing compared to the Barnsdall nightmare, but it looks like a (thankfully weak) tornado occurred in Joplin with the line of storms last night. Looks to have touched down on the fringes of the 2011 tornado path south of where Joplin High School was wrecked (in the 2011 tornado), and crossed its path at Connecticut Avenue.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Surprising considering I don't think most tree damage gets rated higher than EF3. Might need to take a look at the EF-scale DI's again.
I think Rolling Fork had an EF4 DI for tree damage? I'll double check.
It's very likely this was rated EF4 for structural damage, but the extreme tree damage just makes it more likely that other EF4 damage occurred.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Tree damage can and has been rated EF4 before if it is very high end. The Bassfield, Louisville, and Rolling Fork MS tornadoes all earned EF4 ratings for tree damage amongst other DIs.

Reaction score
I will say this. Common sense to me suggests EF4 intensity. However the building damage only suggests EF3 due to the lack of quality construction. I think with the way the EF-scale is used nowadays, building construction supersedes common sense when it comes to NWS offices determining a final rating.
Like Camp Crook, SD/Capitol, MT is a great example.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was so wrapped up in Oklahoma I missed that there was an EF1 that damaged homes in Smithville, Tn last night as well.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Color me surprised given construction, tree damage certainly seems extreme though

This would have been a very very ugly day if things had played out as expected seeing how strong the one significant tornado that happened managed to be
Good reminder of how big of a bullet we dodged. Could’ve easily had 3-4 more of those.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Insane that Oklahoma went 8 years without a single violent tornado and then get hit with 2 back to back in less than 2 weeks from separate outbreaks.

Mother Nature truly likes to wrought her disasters in bundles.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sounds like very appropriate use of contextuals which I heavily support

That is the first EF4 rating from that office since Denning, AR, on 5/25/11, also a bit of a nocturnal nightmare tornado

Reaction score

How long has it been since we've had ground scouring like this?

Ground scouring is one of those “weird” areas in that it can be completely random and can come down to things like soil composition, how much rain has there been, soil quality etc. there was a really good string of comments by Buckeye and someone else recently discussing some of the drawbacks of using “ground scouring” as an indicator of tornado intensity. IIRC, EF2s have caused ground scouring before

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Ground scouring is one of those “weird” areas in that it can be completely random and can come down to things like soil composition, how much rain has there been, soil quality etc. there was a really good string of comments by Buckeye and someone else recently discussing some of the drawbacks of using “ground scouring” as an indicator of tornado intensity. IIRC, EF2s have caused ground scouring before
Yeah, I saw the discussion about that, but this looks pretty extreme and probably fits in the category of violent/classic ground scouring.

Logo 468x120