• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

Wind Driven Coconut

Reaction score
I will say that there’s a good number of well educated forecasters (Nixon, Leitmann, and others) posting thoughts on yesterday’s storm evolution out in the bird app. I’ve been following severe weather since the early 2000’s and it’s refreshing to see the open mindedness that yesterday did not go as expected and a desire to understand why. There was a huge bust (legit bust) many years ago - 2008 maybe (??) where it felt like everyone just moved on to the next event. The more we learn about why a forecast pans out differently than expected, the better the forecasting becomes. Hopefully yesterday is one that is studied just as much as the big outbreaks that do produce as expected.

Clancy

Reaction score
I will say that there’s a good number of well educated forecasters (Nixon, Leitmann, and others) posting thoughts on yesterday’s storm evolution out in the bird app. I’ve been following severe weather since the early 2000’s and it’s refreshing to see the open mindedness that yesterday did not go as expected and a desire to understand why. There was a huge bust (legit bust) many years ago - 2008 maybe (??) where it felt like everyone just moved on to the next event. The more we learn about why a forecast pans out differently than expected, the better the forecasting becomes. Hopefully yesterday is one that is studied just as much as the big outbreaks that do produce as expected.
Understanding when things don't go expected is unbelievably important, a basic tenant of science, and key to understanding the next threat. At the same time, I'm seeing people conflating that curiosity with mindless calls of events busting. One is actual inquiry and the other is just disgruntled blabbing. As others have said, continued analysis of yesterday's event will be worth watching and I'll be interested to see what comes of it.

Clancy

Reaction score
Additional input from Nixon and Leitman. Aside from previously discussed issues observable from soundings, slowed trough ejection might've been limited intensification. Interestingly, Trey has mentioned a few times that slower trough ejection can be favorable to some setups, more or less giving storms more time to be in the OWS. All likelihood still that there was a mosaic of thermodynamic and kinematic issues, perhaps some we don't even properly understand, that led to yesterday's outcome. Not entirely convinced by the responsibility of poor LLLRs either, as the storms that struggled most were located in the better LRs, versus the Barnsdall storm, which had pretty measly ones (the evolution of that cell within just a few scans is still rather spooky). A lot of questions, not too many answers.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Color me surprised given construction, tree damage certainly seems extreme though

This would have been a very very ugly day if things had played out as expected seeing how strong the one significant tornado that happened managed to be
Absolutely. This only underperformed (not a bust!) because storms didn't organize. If they did, like this one cell did, they would have unleashed havoc.