• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

Reaction score
So what are the potential limiting factors, if any, that are present with this setup for tonight?
Cap is stout, and Oklahoma can be famous for its blue sky busts, but as the temps rises and moisture advects northward it should erode. I don’t think Cap is going to keep this one held back. Just something to keep in mind and I’d defer to Andy or Fred on that one

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So what are the potential limiting factors, if any, that are present with this setup for tonight?
The main question now is how many storms fire in the peak parameter space. A lot of the CAMs haven’t shown a ton of convection especially south of OKC but I’m not sure that’s actually realistic. Other than that, not much. There’s a reason they issued a high risk; this isn’t a conditional threat, it’s just a matter of resolving the mesoscale details.

Reaction score
Cap is stout, and Oklahoma can be famous for its blue sky busts, but as the temps rises and moisture advects northward it should erode. I don’t think Cap is going to keep this one held back. Just something to keep in mind and I’d defer to Andy or Fred on that one
This is what OUN posted in chat. Cap is largely gone.

1715019868474.png

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Probably won't be all that many cells developing in the high risk which is kind of the problem, things should be pretty widely spaced with lots of room for just a handful of supercells dropping long tracked tornadoes; getting the balance right is tricky but if the cap is largely gone in weak forcing, could hit the sweet spot for just a few intense updrafts especially if mesoscale factors and 850mb temps cooperate

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Probably won't be all that many cells developing in the high risk which is kind of the problem, things should be pretty widely spaced with lots of room for just a handful of supercells dropping long tracked tornadoes; getting the balance right is tricky but if the cap is largely gone in weak forcing, could hit the sweet spot for just a few intense updrafts especially if mesoscale factors and 850mb temps cooperate
Yeah this seems like the most likely scenario (and it’s what most of the CAMs have been depicting). Also why I don’t think a 45% upgrade is necessary since the expected amount of storm coverage probably doesn’t justify it.

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

I'm by no means an expert, but I have to say: I did a double take when I initially saw this sounding. Up to nearly 30kts of surface [0-1km] shear & north of 200m/s^2 of surface [0-1km] SRH? The morning model runs were suggesting notably weaker amounts of both at this time. It may not mean all that much in the grand scheme of things, but it is something that caught my attention.

Last edited: