• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

Reaction score
Have to imagine there may be a 45 hatch at 20z if trends continue toward good confidence in coverage and location
Given current trends, does this still seem a possibility? If storms initiate too early in OK they could go quasi-linear before the best forcing arrives.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Given current trends, does this still seem a possibility? If storms initiate too early in OK they could go quasi-linear before the best forcing arrives.
At this point, 45, 30, 60, ...it's just splitting hairs -- a high-end tornado threat is possible. The exact category assigned at this point is somewhat subjective to the SPC forecasters. 45 could happen, but if not, a 30 is still a very serious high-end threat, given the models and trends today.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I know some aren't a fan of it, but when was the last torcon of 9? March 31, 2023?
They basically just multiply the SPC probabilities by two to make them more sensational so probably whenever the last 45% was. I honestly don’t pay any attention to it because it doesn’t add any value to the publicly available info.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I know some aren't a fan of it, but when was the last torcon of 9? March 31, 2023?
Those are now automatically decided based on the SPC tornado probabilities. A sigtor-driven MDT automatically puts it at 7-8. A sigtor-driven HIGH automatically puts it at 9, and then they may make it 10 if the tornado probability goes above 30%.