• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - Christmas Week 2022 (AKA The Great Big Batch of Every Gosh-Darn Thing)

Reaction score
IDK how cold it got overnight but it was definitely below zero because when I woke up at 8am the tempature was AT zero and climbing. 6 now, and a pretty good amount of snow on the ground.

JPWX

Reaction score
The current warmest temperature in the entire Continental United States is 84 in Immokalee, Florida.

JPWX

Reaction score
Tupelo, MS got down to 4 degrees this morning with a wind chill value of -14. Coldest December temperature since December 20th, 1981! Aberdeen, MS got down to 6 degrees this morning with a wind chill value of -8. Coldest December temperature since December 9th, 1917!

Jacob

Reaction score
Tupelo, MS got down to 4 degrees this morning with a wind chill value of -14. Coldest December temperature since December 20th, 1981! Aberdeen, MS got down to 6 degrees this morning with a wind chill value of -8. Coldest December temperature since December 9th, 1917!

Did it not hit a colder temperature in Tupelo in Dec of 89?

Edit: Tupelo recorded a low of -3 on Dec 23, 1989

Last edited:

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Somewhat positive thoughts... GFS saying 70s next Saturday, with a possible severe threat. gfs-deterministic-alms-t2m_f-2520400.png

JPWX

Reaction score
It reached 18 degrees in Tupelo today. Their coldest December High temperature since December 24th, 1983 which was 16. It reached 15 degrees in Aberdeen today. The 2nd coldest temperature in December on record only behind the 7 degrees on December 24th, 1989.

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
As mentioned by @JBishopwx a heavy rain/flash flood and severe weather threat is on the horizon. The last time we had a severe weather threat around New Years was 2010/2011.
View attachment 16197View attachment 16196View attachment 16195
I thought it was last New Year's where we had severe leading to a frigid January following a record hot and tornadic December. As for my situation, temp plunged like crazy yesterday as school let out for Christmas, and power has been cutting out at my house since 1AM today, and my driveway and yard is littered with branches.

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
It reached 18 degrees in Tupelo today. Their coldest December High temperature since December 24th, 1983 which was 16. It reached 15 degrees in Aberdeen today. The 2nd coldest temperature in December on record only behind the 7 degrees on December 24th, 1989.

Which reporting station for Tupelo are you using? I’m seeing 10 degrees for a high on the 22nd in 1989.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anderson SC @8:50 AM ET- 9 below zero winds 7MPH from North.
Duke energy instituting rolling blackouts. Lost power here @3 hours ago.

OH JOY! Power just came back on :D

Reaction score
Apparently statewide TN rolling blackouts were planned yesterday (with no schedule) but were paused.

EDIT: Now going into effect in Middle Tennessee. 15 minute outages every two hours. These are the first rolling blackouts in Tennessee in 90 years.

akt1985

Reaction score
Apparently statewide TN rolling blackouts were planned yesterday (with no schedule) but were paused.

EDIT: Now going into effect in Middle Tennessee. 15 minute outages every two hours. These are the first rolling blackouts in Tennessee in 90 years.

The strain was so severe in Middle Tennessee that this afternoon’s Titans game was delayed one hour. I know if the game was at Green Bay the game would go on as scheduled but I also wonder why the game isn’t moved to Monday night and have a split telecast between ABC and ESPN?

Back