• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - Christmas Week 2022 (AKA The Great Big Batch of Every Gosh-Darn Thing)

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I wish I understood why the models forecast Fri am colder than Sat am? Sat should be colder than Fri, right? The models are going colder than the forecast, with the most recent output showing 6F/-14.5C Fri am, catching Spann off guard. Some also don't get us up to 20F/-6.5C which seems a stretch. My palm trees can handle 5F/-15C but have problems below that temp. I'm sticking with a Bham min of 7F/-14C but I think we will reach 20+ every day.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Staying in Anderson SC for the time being. Lowest and windiest to the west, but overall forecast temps are down so expecting temps down to 23 and W/C of 9 tonight. Saturday night 12 degrees with W/C at 1 o_O

Record is 8 for the 24th back in 83 which I remember well as we were building a parking garage in downtown Greenville during that timeframe. :eek: I would have quit but there were no other jobs to be had- there were literally dozens of men lined up at the job trailer every morning willing to take anything they could get even knowing full well what they'd be facing :( Very appreciative that I don't have to get out in it anymore.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well we have seen the temp steadily decrease this morning - Someone needs to turn the heat back on lol.

1671732248029.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Got rotating supercells already taking off in the Gulf, whether or not any of them will make it to the west coast of Florida, let alone produce a tornado, remains to be seen...
122222-1.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Two special marine warned thunderstorms, including one with an impressive couplet, are in the Outer Banks region.
Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems.

edit: woops
Let me try this with another screenshot
122222-3.png

Reaction score
My son just talked to his best friend in Memphis and it's snowing like mad there and sticking. BIG flakes.
Can confirm. It started snowing just before 5:00 PM. We thought it was rain originally but Dad just before leaving for work confirmed it was snow. Now there's a faint white color on the ground.

The temperature dropped from 42 to 40 in 10 minutes (4:50 to 5:00). A few minutes later it was 39. Now (aka just about 6:00 when this was posted) it's 27 and falling fast. It's quite windy already, and Dad said this wind will continue through the night.

The Amazon warehouse in Mississippi (well, literally 1000 feet from the state line but anywho) that Dad works at has flat out stated that they're going to shut down for the night if it snows really bad. Flash freezing of the roads is quite possible and even probable.

EDIT: I can hear snow falling from the rooftops.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Both the Euro & GFS show 7F/-14C in Bham but the forecasters won't budge from 10/-12C. I think we'll see some snow tonight but I don't as much as I'd like.

JPWX

Reaction score
My temperature report before I go to bed. It is 20 degrees in Smithville, MS. Colder than Mount Rainier, Washington where it is currently 27. LOL!

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's already 8° (wind chill -7°) at Haleyville and below zero in parts of Tennessee apparently; thinking the forecast may be a bit too warm tonight

Had some flurries earlier that showed up on the deck and on the cars but not that much, mainly just the very strong winds and rapidly plunging temperatures

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Expected temps are being lowered here in Anderson SC too. Currently 24f/ WC 9 but this time tomorrow will be 10f/ WC -8 :eek:

Current winds are 20MPH/ gusts 40 and the power has been flickering every few minutes and dropping completely for seconds to minutes 3-4 times an hour.

Back