• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat 3/26-3/29, 2020

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
There's some scary hodographs in West Illinois tomorrow. They don't look too bad until the line approaches and by then the forecast sounding is rain contaminated.
2020032718_NAMNST_030_39.78,-90.66_severe_ml.png

Kory

Reaction score
There's some scary hodographs in West Illinois tomorrow. They don't look too bad until the line approaches and by then the forecast sounding is rain contaminated.
View attachment 2626
Hmmm some slight backing at 500mb. Not sure that matters with everything else in place but it does begin to occlude by that time and that can mess up wind fields. Just something to keep in mind. Obviously a very potent set up.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Fun times out in Oklahoma and Arkansas -

Correction - Baseball sized hail now...

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Day One outlook expands MDT and ENH somewhat and discussion mentions upgrade to High is on the table if trends look to support it nearer to event start. Pretty nasty day incoming.

Screenshot_20200328-010905~2.png

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wow this hail would ruin your day.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
With 95 hail reports - 27 of them 2"+ diameter hail - I'm a little shocked SPC didn't throw in a higher corridor of hail probs on the 20z; that's massive overperformance on a day that never went higher than slight (15/hatch hail) Very, very significant hail swaths today

Kory

Reaction score
I don’t think a single model had a complex of storms moving into Illinois this morning. That will certainly affect things.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wouldn’t be surprised see spc go enhanced for mid south later today east ark west to north ms... lapse rates r crazy high with dew points pushing 70... wind damage will be nothing sneeze at. The threat that is

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If that early mass clears as fast as it's looking like it might, there's probably still time to get sufficient destabilization before the main show arrives, but would certainly greatly reduce the chance of going high. Might even lay out some boundaries as it dies that could cause some trouble later.

Kory

Reaction score
If that early mass clears as fast as it's looking like it might, there's probably still time to get sufficient destabilization before the main show arrives, but would certainly greatly reduce the chance of going high. Might even lay out some boundaries as it dies that could cause some trouble later.
I think the problem comes in with the convection overturning a lot of the monster lapse rates (convection warming the mid and upper levels).

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
True, true. Always a fly in the ointment on day one. Killing the lapse rates might save a bunch of car windows and skylights though lol

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Moderate maintained, and highly surprisingly they still say a 20z high is still in the cards depending on trends. Unusually aggressive wording from the normally pretty conservative SPC

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Moderate maintained, and highly surprisingly they still say a 20z high is still in the cards depending on trends. Unusually aggressive wording from the normally pretty conservative SPC
Yup, sounds like they think it warrants a high risk but they don't know where to put it

Kory

Reaction score
I’m not the expert here. I just don’t see where this warrants a high risk....or even a moderate. The threat is lessening compared to some of those apocalyptic solutions of yesterday.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah I thought if anything they'd consider downgrading to an enhanced rather than going up to a high.

Back