• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2024

Evan

Reaction score
Freddy McKinney's actions today are why I'm so grateful for storm chasers.
I just encountered his footage on Twitter. That was an incredibly difficult video to watch. Thank you, God, that he was in position to help that family. He saved lives and that's not an exaggeration in the slightest.

That video footage is very reminiscent of what I saw in Concord on 04/27. I stopped chasing because of that. I wasn't even chasing that day -- the Tuscaloosa tornado killed multiple people I know -- I was simply trying to help a friend find his parents in a subdivision mere minutes after the tornado ripped through. It was a horrible situation. It had a very heavy psychological impact on me. I was depressed for weeks after 04/27.

Kudos to Freddy McKinney. I don't know the guy, and haven't previously heard of him, but what he did today was nothing less than a perfect example of what responsible chasers do. There are plenty of chasers like that in the broader chasing community yet often times what makes the rounds on social media are the negative encounters and behaviors.

Brice W

Reaction score
I just encountered his footage on Twitter. That was an incredibly difficult video to watch. Thank you, God, that he was in position to help that family. He saved lives and that's not an exaggeration in the slightest.

That video footage is very reminiscent of what I saw in Concord on 04/27. I stopped chasing because of that. I wasn't even chasing that day -- the Tuscaloosa tornado killed multiple people I know -- I was simply trying to help a friend find his parents in a subdivision mere minutes after the tornado ripped through. It was a horrible situation. It had a very heavy psychological impact on me. I was depressed for weeks after 04/27.

Kudos to Freddy McKinney. I don't know the guy, and haven't previously heard of him, but what he did today was nothing less than a perfect example of what responsible chasers do. There are plenty of chasers like that in the broader chasing community yet often times what makes the rounds on social media are the negative encounters and behaviors.
I missed this, did he watch the tornado hit the house at a close range? And then he went to check the scene?

MichelleH

Reaction score

I'm sorry you went through that. I lost a friend because of the impact of 4/27. I agree about the chasers. Brett Adair is one that has always stopped to help people as well.

Also, next week looks VERY busy.

TornadoFan

Reaction score
There's been an update on the family. While they're very banged up, they're gonna be just fine and they've already been discharged from the hospital. Quote from a family member:

"Thank you Freddy for taking care of my cousin & her family. We are all so grateful you were out there. As an update for everyone, they are very banged up, but they have all been discharged & are spending the night at grandparents."

TheSuckZone

Reaction score
I missed this, did he watch the tornado hit the house at a close range? And then he went to check the scene?
Yes. Got the occupants immediately and took them to the hospital. I don't know what the outcome would have been if he had not been there at that exact time but it may have saved their life. Freddy is one of the good dudes out there and he deserves a lot of credit for what he did.

Tennie

Reaction score
25th anniversary of the may 3rd 1999 outbreak. View attachment 26245

I made a post about that in the "Tornado Anniversaries" thread:

Telstar

Reaction score
There's been an update on the family. While they're very banged up, they're gonna be just fine and they've already been discharged from the hospital. Quote from a family member:

"Thank you Freddy for taking care of my cousin & her family. We are all so grateful you were out there. As an update for everyone, they are very banged up, but they have all been discharged & are spending the night at grandparents."
Its good to hear they’re ok. Having that happen to just one family somehow makes it more personal to me to feel their pain than when hundreds are injured. Weird.

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Tornado Watch Number 178
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
210 PM CDT Fri May 3 2024

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of
Northwest into West Texas

* Effective this Friday afternoon and evening from 210 PM until
1000 PM CDT.

* Primary threats include...
A few tornadoes and a couple intense tornadoes possible
Scattered large hail and isolated very large hail events to 4.5
inches in diameter likely
Scattered damaging winds likely with isolated significant gusts
to 75 mph possible

SUMMARY...Scattered severe thunderstorms are forecast to develop
this afternoon into the evening across portions of the Watch area.
Several intense supercells are likely to evolve and pose a risk for
giant hail and tornadoes. The tornado risk will probably be
greatest in the vicinity of a modifying boundary draped across the
region.

Logo 468x120