• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2024

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Reminds me of the Dolores, Uruguay tornado from back in 2016. Honestly one of the most stout South African tornadoes I've seen:

The scenes of damage from the Tongaat tornado remind me of Joplin (obviously not quite as violent, but still). Just endless destruction.
Tongaat-damage.png

Denuded trees:
Tongaat2.png

Meanwhile in Texas:

Attachments

• 1717444951571.png
    1717444951571.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 0

jiharris0220

Reaction score
NWS Lubbock surveyors coming in clutch with yet another lazy bulls&*t mental gymnastic stunt in tornado record keeping.

Instead this time, not only in tornado ratings, but just straight up sweeping entire tornadoes under the rug so they can just “combine” them into one single track.

Reaction score
NWS Lubbock surveyors coming in clutch with yet another lazy bulls&*t mental gymnastic stunt in tornado record keeping.

Instead this time, not only in tornado ratings, but just straight up sweeping entire tornadoes under the rug so they can just “combine” them into one single track.

I told off NWS Lubbock after the Matador tornado rating on Twitter. They blocked me and I don't really care. They are the worst NWS in the whole country.

Last edited:

Maxis_s

Reaction score

Tweet got deleted. Did someone screenshot or archive it?

Reaction score
Looking at June 13th or thereafter for the next uptick in activity (GFS suggests around then, CFS maybe a few days later), likely centered on the northern Plains to Midwest as moisture finally returns to meet the stronger west/northwest flow on the periphery of the ridge. Many details TBD at this range, of course.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tongaat tornado death toll up to 11. Now the deadliest tornado worldwide this year, deadliest South African tornado in over two decades (since 1999), and tied with a 1952 tornado as the third deadliest ever recorded in the country. Some of the homes it impacted look to be constructed with European style dual masonry walls, so probably looking at a solid EF3 assuming no major structural flaws. Damage intensity looks very similar to the Buryn, Ukraine tornado from 2022.
Tongaat3.png
A-man-s-body-was-recovered-following-a-structural-collapse-at-an-informal-settlement-in-Tongaat-Picture-Reaction-Unit-South-Africa

ToBeConfirmed

Trail-of-destruction-in-oThongathi-following-a-storm-on-Monday-night-Picture-Reaction-Unit-South-Africa

610x61000

610x61000

gettyimages-2155373629-594x594-1.jpg

Somewhat unrelated note, but the way the media has its way with words makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. The BBC is calling a very obvious significant tornado a "tornado-looking storm" because it didn't happen in the US. Yikes.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Tongaat tornado death toll up to 11. Now the deadliest tornado worldwide this year, deadliest South African tornado in over two decades (since 1999), and tied with a 1952 tornado as the third deadliest ever recorded in the country. Some of the homes it impacted look to be constructed with European style dual masonry walls, so probably looking at a solid EF3 assuming no major structural flaws. Damage intensity looks very similar to the Buryn, Ukraine tornado from 2022.
View attachment 28413
A-man-s-body-was-recovered-following-a-structural-collapse-at-an-informal-settlement-in-Tongaat-Picture-Reaction-Unit-South-Africa

ToBeConfirmed

Trail-of-destruction-in-oThongathi-following-a-storm-on-Monday-night-Picture-Reaction-Unit-South-Africa

610x61000

610x61000

gettyimages-2155373629-594x594-1.jpg

Somewhat unrelated note, but the way the media has its way with words makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. The BBC is calling a very obvious significant tornado a "tornado-looking storm" because it didn't happen in the US. Yikes.
Just what in the pig flying monkey flipping f$&k does “tornado looking storm” even supposed to mean?

Like, does the entire storm itself up to the upper troposphere look like a tornado?

I feel like a lot of these news writers are either developing a long term illiteracy illness or more likely AI is involved in these headlines.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just what in the pig flying monkey flipping f$&k does “tornado looking storm” even supposed to mean?

Like, does the entire storm itself up to the upper troposphere look like a tornado?

I feel like a lot of these news writers are either developing a long term illiteracy illness or more likely AI is involved in these headlines.
Even The Weather Channel is for once doing its job and accurately calling a very obvious tornado a tornado...

As for the BBC, it doesn't stop at calling this event a "tornado-like storm". Even when it is referred to as a tornado, they put 'tornado' in airquotes and write that the 11 fatalities were caused by flooding and not the tornado, despite multiple reputable South African news sources stating the contrary. What an absolute joke...

Someone needs to get ahold of the BBC and have them correct this nonsense.

Back