• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Rocket City Weather Fest

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The annual Rocket City Weather Fest is two weeks from tomorrow - Saturday February 24th - from 10am -4pm at UAH.

There will be a weather balloon launch and storm chasing vehicles on display, along with activities for the kids.

There will also be a storm spotter training class from 11am-1pm. I've never been to one of these but I would like a Skywarn refresher(been at least 10 years) so I hope to either make it to this class or the other Huntsville class in March.

More info here for anyone interested:

https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/rocketcityweatherfest/

akt1985

Reaction score
I see that there is a chance of thunderstorms on Saturday during the weather fair. Does anyone know if the event is still on if it rains?

• Admin

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I see that there is a chance of thunderstorms on Saturday during the weather fair. Does anyone know if the event is still on if it rains?

I don't know, but I might try to stow away in a storm chase vehicle in case they're deployed!

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations

As of now, everything is still a go. However, we are on a deplyoment alert based on what the weather is doing. The event is hosted by ATS students so if a deplyoment does occur, it may be cancelled.

• Admin

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As of now, everything is still a go. However, we are on a deplyoment alert based on what the weather is doing. The event is hosted by ATS students so if a deplyoment does occur, it may be cancelled.

I imagine that means the Skywarn class would be cancelled as well?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Pleased to announce TW is donating some hats as raffle prizes for this cool event. Hope to see some of you out there!

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Can they start it at 8am so I can get out of there in time to chase the tornadoes in northern MS or western TN?

akt1985

Reaction score
I had a great time at the Rocket City Weather Fair today. I just wish my article in Alabama Living about Storm Spotters was out in time for the event. I could have donated an autographed copy for the raffle.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I got a late start today and slid in just as the Skywarn class was about to start. HUN does a great job with the class.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was the guy halfwsy up on his laptop the entire time if you saw me. Lol

I was sitting towards the back, stage right as you are facing the stage. I did see a group of 3-4 guys in UAH shirts and one had a laptop out because the skew-t he was looking at caught my eye, at least that's what it appeared to be from a distance.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
I was sitting towards the back, stage right as you are facing the stage. I did see a group of 3-4 guys in UAH shirts and one had a laptop out because the skew-t he was looking at caught my eye, at least that's what it appeared to be from a distance.

That was indeed me. We were getting deployment details for that night's operations sorted out during the training

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That was indeed me. We were getting deployment details for that night's operations sorted out during the training

one of the guys in the group had a question but was never called on. What was the question?

Back