• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Reminder - SKYWARN Spotter Training in Huntsville

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just a reminder that one of the largest training sessions for SKYWARN in the Tennessee Valley takes place on Thursday at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center's National Geographic Theater in the Davidson Center for Space Exploration, or as I like to say, just park under the rocket and go in the big white building.

Training starts at 6:00pm until 8:00pm and there are no registration requirements. If you are would like more information on the role of Storm Spotters, check out @akt1985''s Alabama Life at http://alabamaliving.coop/article/storm-spotters-keep-alabamians-safe-during-severe-weather/

Also, you can make a night of it and attend the U.S. Space and Rocket Center's weekly Biergarten event that is also hosted in the Davidson Center starting at 4:30pm. There is no admission fee and if you haven't taken a peek at the center in a while consider coming a little early and looking at the exhibits and enjoy some pretty good German food and some live music. A portion of all food sales goes to the charity of the week, Downtown Huntsville.

Summary:

SKYWARN Spotter Training in the National Geographic Theater at U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
March 22, 2018
6:00pm until 8:00pm

U.S. Space and Rocket Center
One Tranquility Base
Huntsville, AL 35805

Links for more information:

https://www.weather.gov/hun/skywarn
SKYWARN training schedule for the Huntsville NWS area. Other upcoming locations include Tuscumbia, AL, Lynchburg, TN and Fayetteville, TN.

https://www.rocketcenter.com/Biergarten
Menu and pricing and schedule for the rest of the spring/summer.

(Edit: Added link for Alabama Life article)

Last edited:

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Thanks for re-posting this. Just made sure it was still a go with NWS (given the storm surveys, etc.) and it is. Also talked to the USSRC coordinator to confirm us.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Excellent news! Hoping to be able to head over.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yes, if you have not gone to a SKYWARN training session, please do! Took a refresher SKYWARN Basic class today in Gadsden.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sadly I won’t be able to make it tonight. Hope it goes well.

Back