• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Prolonged Severe Weather Event Mode (04APR17)

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Due to severe weather the current online user count is running very high. The TalkWeather Administrators are taking proactive steps to ensure that the site has the capacity to continue to operate. At this time the following features are temporarily disabled.

TWBot Posts (including automated watch information)
Who's Reading (information will still be captured but not displayed)
Live Mode

We have also added the resources of additional web servers to our hosting to share the load during this severe weather event.

Admins will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates in this thread.

Last edited:
  • Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Morning everyone,

Per a member request I have re-enabled live mode. I am watching the memory usage on the server closely and if it rises quickly again we will more than likely turn it off.

Interesting number of the day -
The number of requests our servers have handled in the last 24 hours. The number is growing as well. Be safe today!

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
With the issuance the latest TOR watch we have implemented additional web servers to handle the surging capacity we are seeing on the site. If you encounter an error please wait a min and reload the page as the changes are still propagating through our systems.

Jana

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wes channel 48 said we're not under a tornado watch are we all clear

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wes channel 48 said we're not under a tornado watch are we all clear

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather
You bet. Sorry I didn't see this until now.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As of now we have returned to our "normal" configuration based on the decreased loads. All features are re-activated as of this time. Thanks to all our members for their help and keeping their eyes out for issues. This was our first big dance with this configuration and we only had one 17 minute downtime which was all me.

During the two severe events we served up over 1 million requests and 200,000+ page views for over 8,000+ unique visitors in 26 nations including Iran. We have had some interesting organizations visit including universities, major hospitals, local, state and federal government organizations and yes national and regional media organizations.

Thank you for helping bring TW back. I loved chatting with several of you and most of all I was just glad to see all this great discussion flowing again.
Have a great night,
Wes

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back