• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Poll: (Hypothetical) Tornado Damage Survey Teams

Which Tornado Damage Survey Team Would You Pick?

• Gary Woodall, Greg Stumpf, John Robinson, Tim Marshall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Grazulis, Greg Forbes, Ted Fujita, James Spann

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Which team would you trust more to conduct tornado damage surveys?
thesurveyteambattle.png

From left: Gary Woodall, Greg Stumpf, John Robinson, Tim Marshall. Thomas Grazulis, Greg Forbes, Ted Fujita, James Spann

buckeye05

Reaction score
Fujita was the man back in the day, but some of his work doesn’t hold as much water under modern scrutiny.

I’d go with any team that includes Tim Marshall. He’s simply the most knowledgeable, is privy to the most current surveying methods, and has the best instinct and intuition when comparing context with structural integrity. Anyone who calls him “too conservative” hasn’t given his work an objective look.

Reaction score
James Spann is an excellent weather broadcaster but as far as I know isn't really a damage expert.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I chose the right team (pun intended) mainly because it has Grazulis, and he is hard to argue with in terms of ratings; he's a lot more accurate, reliable and consistent then Fujita or the NWS ever was (especially pre-1990); I'll trust Grazulis and Forbes a lot more then anyone else on the left team. Forbes is usually pretty reliable with his ratings. While Fujita's ratings (and his logic behind them) were a bit strange I'll still side with him as he is the man who developed the first scale to measure tornadoes and laid the groundwork for measuring tornado intensity that continues to this day.

Back