• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Reaction score
If you search Devil's Triangle using the Urban Dictionary it refers to sexual encounters... different types of sexual encounters but sexual activities none the less. Refer to the definitions posted years ago (2008 and 2011). Discount the ones posted this week since they are obviously politically motivated.

I don't give a lot of credence to that particular argument because those definitions were added decades later. They don't show what the meaning would've been back then or what it would've been among Kavanaugh's group of friends.

I'd never heard of the term before. I think it is odd there's no record of anyone ever mentioning it as a drinking game anywhere on the internet or in any archive, but that isn't conclusive in any way. It simply doesn't confirm what Kavanaugh claimed. However, I know he grew up as a pretty devout Catholic, and as someone who was also a devout Christian in my teens (not saying I've changed), I know that my friends and I sometimes used the "Devil" or Satan label to refer to certain things or make jokes. I remember getting in trouble with a friend's parent because I made a joke that we were going to go talk to our friend Satan. They didn't realize I was totally joking. We were a group of devout Christian friends and it was a joke because that was literally the antithesis of what we were going to go do.

I could see a Catholic teenager calling a drinking game that because drinking isn't considered a sin among Catholics (I don't think it is either but many Protestants do), but drinking to excess is. So, a drinking game that encourages excessive drinking might be called something like Devil's Triangle.

It isn't impossible that it was a sexual reference, but I think we have to look at things we have evidence for. There's evidence Kavanaugh drank to excess and he downplayed his drinking. There's evidence the Renate comments didn't mean what he claimed. But, as I said before, humans make mistakes especially in pressure filled highly public situations when your character is in question, and you've been accused of a serious thing. I don't think that his misleading or untruthful statements about these things should prevent his confirmation even if I think it was wrong for him to do it, and I'm uncomfortable with it to an extent.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I don't give a lot of credence to that particular argument because those definitions were added decades later. They don't show what the meaning would've been back then or what it would've been among Kavanaugh's group of friends.
The definitions couldn't have been added decades earlier because the resource Urban Dictionary didn't exist until 1999. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that someone that was a teen in the early 80's, have entered the meaning of the term as it applied to them and their friends in an open online resource in 2008 when they were in their early 40s. Much more credible than the definitions of it being a drinking game that have been added in the past week. If people defined it as some kind of sexual act in 2008 and 2011, they knew of it within that context sometime earlier in their life.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
If you search Devil's Triangle using the Urban Dictionary it refers to sexual encounters... different types of sexual encounters but sexual activities none the less. Refer to the definitions posted years ago (2008 and 2011). Discount the ones posted this week since they are obviously politically motivated.
Many years ago me and my friends would make up fake definitions, sexual/ridiculous/bizarre meanings to words or phrases for a laugh. It's likely somebody just added the term and the definition to be funny and it's entirely fabricated. I've done it several times when I was younger. Urbandictionary is highly unreliable and anyone can add anything.

Kory

Reaction score
Funny how the narrative is shifting from did Kavanaugh commit violent sexual acts to his use of slang, excessive drinking, and that he had "angry outbursts." There is no credible evidence and this smear job is collapsing, so they have to pivot.

Evan

Reaction score
https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/09.26.18 BMK Interview Transcript (Redacted).pdf

I thought the four days of questioning of Kavanaugh was too brief. This transcript shows that there are other opportunities for senators to talk to Judge Kavanaugh and ask him questions.

There have been close to a dozen close door meetings between Kavanaugh and Senators (dating back to beginning of nomination), and over a thousand written questions that he has provided a written response to.

The Dem strategy has been obvious. First it was credit card debt. Then it was WH work. Then it was gambling. Then it was accusations of talking to attorneys involved with Mueller case. Then it was the sexual assault allegations. Now it is ALL of that PLUS drinking accusations and his immature HS behavior.

The idea is to obstruct and delay and make as many allegations of wrongdoing as possible. The media doesn't report how the Dems falsely implied he took bribes to pay off his credit card debt, or how the Dems suggested he had a secret gambling problem. Nor have they talked about how he did NOT talk to an attorney from the firm that Kamala Harris grilled him about.

It is totally ignored that the Dems have already lobbed numerous allegations towards Kavanaugh. The media acts as is the sexual assault accusations happened in a vacuum.

The end game is obvious. Dems are going to pore over the FBI background check report once it is complete. They are going to point out any interview that contradicts Kavanaugh on drinking, Yearbook/HS allegations, immature behavior, or behavior towards women. They will start to scream he perjured himself. That's the end game here. Find a few contradictions and hammer Kavanaugh. Pressure Flake, Collins, Murkowski, and Manchin. Sadly, Kavanaugh in his attempt to limit further smears of his character, likely has made some inconsistent statements about his teenage behavior. Odd that I haven't seen a single Democrat talk about Grassley's criminal referral of the person who made false claims to Senator Whitehouse.

False or misleading statements, lies, inaccuracies, etc are only important and relevant if Kavanaugh is the one believed to have done so. All the false claims, implications, and statements are justified in their view because McConnell stole Garland's seat.

Arcadia

Reaction score
Indeed. The inconsistencies, lies, and inaccuracies on the other side is met with a simple shrug of the shoulder. This isn't about truth-finding and it never was. This is about tar and feathering. This is about holding a seat open on the Supreme Court in hopes the Dems can take over the Senate. If they have to ruin a man to do it, then so be it.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Indeed. The inconsistencies, lies, and inaccuracies on the other side is met with a simple shrug of the shoulder. This isn't about truth-finding and it never was. This is about tar and feathering. This is about holding a seat open on the Supreme Court in hopes the Dems can take over the Senate. If they have to ruin a man to do it, then so be it.
I agree completely. However, it seems like some on our side were willing to ruin a woman to ensure the seat gets filled which is just as bad.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
To me it's boiled down to one side playing dirty and the other over-polishing. Kavanaugh isn't Supreme Court material, he's disingenuous and classmates collaborate that he's lied about his excessive drinking. It's not crazy to imagine someone who "like beer, I still like beer" never getting drunk to the point of experiencing even mild-moderate amnesia. I enjoy alcohol and avoid excessive drinking because I hate dizziness and vertigo, but I've been drunk enough to forget things about three times over the past several years. It happens. The problem is that he lied about it. And that may be the thing democrats were hoping for, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation. There's 20 more judges on the list Trump picked from, all of which would abolish abortion and vote conservatively. Pick someone else.

Another not so unexpected development today:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html

Edit: apparently adding
Code:
[s]
causes a irreversible strike through the remainder of the post.

Kory

Reaction score
So, all three “witnesses” named by Ford have denied either knowing of a party or her account of events completely according to the FBI.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
From Kavanaugh 1983

BCKB2tdh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back