• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Phil Campbell thoughts?

redja1990

Reaction score
So now that spring is right around the corner I have been reading alot about that terrifying Phil Campbell tornado. And I wonder is a tornado like that only confined to Dixie alley? I mean looking at alot of historical data I can't even find a tornado in the Midwest and tornado alley that comes close to this thing so is it true dixie alley is more dangerous or is it possible for tornado alley to have a violent wedge moving at 70mph ground speed basically could the ingredients in tornado alley form the same kind of tornado as Phil Campbell had seen... Input much appreciated

jmills

Reaction score
So now that spring is right around the corner I have been reading alot about that terrifying Phil Campbell tornado. And I wonder is a tornado like that only confined to Dixie alley? I mean looking at alot of historical data I can't even find a tornado in the Midwest and tornado alley that comes close to this thing so is it true dixie alley is more dangerous or is it possible for tornado alley to have a violent wedge moving at 70mph ground speed basically could the ingredients in tornado alley form the same kind of tornado as Phil Campbell had seen... Input much appreciated

I'm not the tornado historian or expert around here, but I don't see any reason why it can't happen.

redja1990

Reaction score
I'm not the tornado historian or expert around here, but I don't see any reason why it can't happen.
Just doesn't seem like tornado alley has the Jetstream or enough moisture to support a monster of this power moving at 70mph

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Upper-level winds generally aren't as fast once the focus of the season moves to the plains, so the storms generally are slower-moving. However, in the Ohio Valley, you do see tornadoes move just as fast as they do down south during the late winter and early spring. In fact, I (and several others here) have mentioned before that the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado might be one of the closest modern analogues to the Tri-State tornado.

redja1990

Reaction score
Upper-level winds generally aren't as fast once the focus of the season moves to the plains, so the storms generally are slower-moving. However, in the Ohio Valley, you do see tornadoes move just as fast as they do down south during the late winter and early spring. In fact, I (and several others here) have mentioned before that the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado might be one of the closest modern analogues to the Tri-State tornado.
I would definitely agree with that. I would guess if all the conditions came together it could happen I defenitlly know the plains are capable of a tornado as large and as powerful just not as fast moving and that would be a disaster if it hit anywhere of population

Reaction score
Woodward 1947 would probably be the closest Plains analog. Everything I've read about that tornado and its predecessors in the family indicates they were fast-moving (although not quite to the extreme of Tri-state or either Super Outbreak, more like 40-50 MPH instead of 60-70), exceptionally violent and often difficult to identify due to their sheer size, low contrast, and later darkness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

redja1990

Reaction score
Woodward 1947 would probably be the closest Plains analog. Everything I've read about that tornado and its predecessors in the family indicates they were fast-moving (although not quite to the extreme of Tri-state or either Super Outbreak, more like 40-50 MPH instead of 60-70), exceptionally violent and often difficult to identify due to their sheer size, low contrast, and later darkness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
All I'm saying is this kind of tornado possible in tornado alley such as nebraska thats where I live

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
It's very possible to have a tornado of similar intensity to Phil Campbell in the plains, but very unlikely for it to track for 130+ miles. Due to weaker upper level flow across the plains, tornadoes there almost always move significantly slower and therefore have a shorter path length. It's not impossible to get one that long tracked, but it would be exceedingly rare for that to happen across that area.

Reaction score
All I'm saying is this kind of tornado possible in tornado alley such as nebraska thats where I live
The El Reno tornado was considered extremely long-tracked by Plains standards at 64 miles, almost twice the length of the 5/3/99 Bridge Creek tornado. Several storm chasers and meteorologists also saw it as uncommonly intense even by EF5 standards, especially around the Cactus-117 oil rig, and possibly one of the strongest on record in the Plains. To be fair, tornadoes seem to love to defy anyone who says something like this, but that's probably about as close as you can get to a Plains version of the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado in terms of path length and intensity.

I agree that if we're talking size, shape, rain-wrapping, and death toll, then the 1947 Woodward, OK tornado family is just about the best Hackleburg/Phil Campbell analog in the Plains.

redja1990

Reaction score
The El Reno tornado was considered extremely long-tracked by Plains standards at 64 miles, almost twice the length of the 5/3/99 Bridge Creek tornado. Several storm chasers and meteorologists also saw it as uncommonly intense even by EF5 standards, especially around the Cactus-117 oil rig, and possibly one of the strongest on record in the Plains. To be fair, tornadoes seem to love to defy anyone who says something like this, but that's probably about as close as you can get to a Plains version of the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado in terms of path length and intensity.

I agree that if we're talking size, shape, rain-wrapping, and death toll, then the 1947 Woodward, OK tornado family is just about the best Hackleburg/Phil Campbell analog in the Plains.
Yes I figured path length wouldn't be near as long but yess I know the same intensity is possible along with size the south defenitly has some interesting storm characteristics.

redja1990

Reaction score
And if I'm not mistaken isn't the Hallam nebraska tornado the second largest ever recorded?

Back