• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

In Memoriam Passing of Jack Watkins

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
5882_c510dd867f301ca443f6d429728ad794.jpeg

Mr. Jack Watkins of Panama City Beach, FL passed away on Monday, January 25, 2021, at the age of 59.

Jack was born September 10, 1961, in Baltimore, MD, and joined the United States Marine Corps while still in high school. During his eight years serving with the Marines, Jack was trained in avionics. While at his final duty station at Cherry Point Air Station, NC, he proposed to his future wife, Bette Wilhelm. Jack and Bette were married on September 9th, 1989, renewing their vows on their 20th anniversary, and celebrating 31 years together on September 9, 2020.

Jack started singing as a child in a school choir and enjoyed sharing his joy of singing with family and friends. He lovingly sang at the wedding of his niece Lori and Frank Grant which took place on his and Bette’s 20th wedding anniversary. To honor his mother in law, Jack sang Ave Marie, a favorite of hers, at her memorial service.

After his service with the Marines, Jack transitioned his electronics experience to a position with Professional Electronics that spanned 25 years. Working side by side with his loving wife Bette for 23 of those years, Jack never missed a day of work except for vacations. Jack and Bette then moved to Alabama and started their own business, Sempertronics. Jack and Bette later fulfilled a dream of living on the Gulf Coast and relocated to Panama City Beach, Florida. An avid weather watcher, Jack became involved with and later the administration of TalkWeather.com, where he was beloved by the staff and members and is heralded with the sustained operation of the site during major weather events.

TalkWeather has created a GoFundMe to assist Bette with ongoing expenses, more information can be found at
https://www.gofundme.com/f/29sg5yrd...heet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

Updated 2/11/21

Last edited:

MichelleH

Reaction score
This is breaking my heart, especially for Bette. :( Fly high Jack. Thank you for everything from all of us. Rest in peace until we meet again.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One of the most kindest men I’ve ever known!! He loved his sweet Bette, singing and was the official grillmaster of our forum meetings!!

_melody_

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I am so sad to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, and with all who loved him. We, the people of Talkweather, owe him so much, and he will be sorely missed. :'-(

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
That's tragic to hear, my condolences to his family, friends and those impacted by this sad loss.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I had saw on facebook recently that he was sick but didn't know to what extent. Prayers for family and friends.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
So sad and a bit of a shock. Last I had seen he was improving after his hospital stay.
Talkweather wouldn't be near what it is today without him.

Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Chaser_24

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Had the pleasure of hanging with Jack on multiple occasions and we always kept in touch.

I’m heartbroken to hear this.

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My condolences to him and his family.

Evan

Reaction score
Wait, what? Oh my goodness. :(

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
https://gofund.me/86610631

Jack Watkins was a very kind and generous man, a good friend to all plus loved and took great care of his beloved wife Bette Watkins.
Jack passed away January 25th after being very ill for several months, in that time, they were without a salary to meet their daily and monthly needs.
Jack has physically, financially and kindly taken care of many, many people. Now is the time we can return the favor and help take care of his sweet wife Bette as she deals with life without her Jack. We can’t take the pain away but we can at least make sure she is financially taken care of so she’ll have food and shelter, that alone can take a load off her mind. Plus, let’s help her put Jack’s remains in a nice urn to commemorate not just his goodness but his willingness to serve his country as a Marine.
It’s still hard for us to believe this kind, gentle man is gone and we will never hear him sing again, until we’re in heaven!
Thank you for taking the time to read, please share and if you are able, donate!
God Bless You All!
Lori Lindley Jones

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
E1233AC3-5550-4906-B892-32B63118EB17.jpeg

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A few posts above is the GoFundMe link for anyone that can, be sure to give to help take care of Bette’s immediate needs in memory of Jack, who loved her so much!!

4B6408E6-C6E9-4B04-8D0A-D433499545D6.jpeg

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Afternoon everyone. Let me tell you what I liked most about Jack. He was a straight shooter. He told you like it was and a lot of time he would break the seriousness with an unexpected joke. When we were working to bring back TalkWeather he laid out the terms and then told me that he would be hands-off. I insisted he stick around because of all the time and dedication he put into this forum and helping build the amazing community that we are. A lot of things have changed over the last few years but I love when we see people drop back by from years ago. That wouldn't have been possible without the support of Jack.

Personally, I am so glad that Jack saw his dream of moving to the beach come true. Based on the number of sunset pictures he posted I could tell that he had found a happy place. While I miss the sunset pictures and singing videos, I miss the occasional talks most of all.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
May the man continue to weather-watch from up above along with others who have left our world including Tim Samaras, Paul Samaras, Carl Young, Richard Henderson, Jim Leonard, Joel Taylor, Andy Gabrielson, Eric Nguyen, etc.... and may his wife Bette keep his legacy alive, and they will meet again one day.

R.I.P. Never Stop Chasing.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I just have found out about this very sad news:( I've known Jack for all the years here on TW. I've been away for while and had not known just how sick he was. He was a good man and made my love for weather that much more on here.

RIP Jack.

Back