• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Ohio Quakes

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
This caught my eye: it's the first time I've seen them put an M3-range quake in red (I missed the one in February). Not to worry -- the PAGER is Green, but there are always concerns in this east-of-the Rockies setting, as the Akron Beacon Journal points out, that make lower-magnitude quakes more damaging.

Just something to keep an eye on (it's now listed as 3.6).

Did anyone feel that and/or the others listed at that first link?

Edit: Ohio Seismic Network link

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Per this site (search for 2023), they've upgraded that now to a 4.2.

Ohio is actually quite a busy seismic place, but usually at a low level.

Monday's biggie, I suspect, and at least some of the other activity might be due to the failed Midcontinent Rift (AFAIK, this is a different failed rift from the Reelfoot Rift associated with the New Madrid Seismic Zone).

Reportedly, the eastern MCR part isn't very well delineated.

But, too, a little further reading suggests that the bedrock here is also connected to the Grenville Orogeny, a major Precambrian mountain-building event associated with supercontinents that, among other things produced huge quantities of anorthosite that have since eroded into the Adirondacks and other massifs now scattered around the world.

Sorry. I'm interested in this part of geological time and get carried away. Main takeway: Rift or Grenville, it happened more than a billion years ago. My lay guess is that leftover dense igneous rock is settling; nothing is going to fire up, even literally, in our lifetimes.

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back