• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Non supercell formation of a tornado?

samuel557

Reaction score
Here is a very interesting video that shows something I have yet to understand. I know a bit about landspouts and supercell tornadoes but it doesn't look to me like either of those scenarios happen in this video. It looks almost like a miniature version of how a supercell tornado forms. I still have a lot to learn but would love to hear your thoughts! I would love to know how you guys think this tornado formed and if this storm is considered a supercell or not. Thanks a ton :)

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here is a very interesting video that shows something I have yet to understand. I know a bit about landspouts and supercell tornadoes but it doesn't look to me like either of those scenarios happen in this video. It looks almost like a miniature version of how a supercell tornado forms. I still have a lot to learn but would love to hear your thoughts! I would love to know how you guys think this tornado formed and if this storm is considered a supercell or not. Thanks a ton :)

It's a supercell tornado, you can tell because the base of the wall cloud is rotating along with the funnel. Landspouts (not always, but usually) form as a tubular shaped dust cloud and the funnel (if present) becomes visible afterwards.

Utah tornadoes are such an interesting case study as the state experiences both types of tornadoes (supercell tornadoes and landspouts) semi-regularly and has a handful of significant tornadoes in its book, including one that was a clear cut violent event (High Uintas Wilderness 1993). Thanks for sharing the video!

Back