• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Music

Reaction score
Based on some brief discussions and comments in other threads, I've finally decided to start a thread to discuss music and the like. If you've been to any awesome concerts, have any autographs, photos with band members, etc. feel free to post pictures/share stories. Also, recommendations of bands/albums are more than welcome here.
So, I'll start. I'm really into punk, metal and industrial music. With punk I'm partial to the hardcore movement and it's offshoots/fusions (Oi!, powerviolence, thrashcore, grindcore, crust punk, etc.) and for heavy metal I'm mainly into death and thrash and occasionally some old-school doom and black metal. Industrial metal I am also partial to, but not as much. I also enjoy the occasional rave/dance record and artist (especially 90s rave music, like The Prodigy and Chemical Brothers) and I sometimes use classical music as a relaxation and study aid. I am currently working on several battle jackets (torn-up denim vests with various band patches/pins) and I plan on posting the results once finished. I haven't been to many concerts yet but I plan on changing that within the next year or two. I'm much more of a punk in terms of my outlook on life; my dysfunctional childhood combined with exposure to hardcore punk at the perfect age range of 15-19 are the main factors in my cynical, jaded and anarcho-nihilistic view of the world at large and most of the people in it. My wardrobe is largely black band shirts, black jeans, black belts, black socks, black sneakers and black boots (although I am venturing out into charcoal and medium gray, navy, dark blue, dark brown and dark green lol) and sometimes I'll mix black with white. Anyways, let's see what happens with the rest of this thread!

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm still on my first coffee but anyway...
My musical tastes go wide and wild. About the only genre's I don't like are "rap" which isn't music, and gospel. I've always been the one to break the mold and be di8fferent sometimes just to be doing it. Being in the small-town south growing up there wasn't anything wild on the radio and there wasn't any internet so my music exposure was the bubble-gum pop, top-40 rock, and southern rock of the day, but having a hard-rock brother when I was younger and being an AF brat back then in Cali, I knew there was better and more- I just had to find it. Being into electronics and radio somewhere around 1979/1980 I built a dipole antenna and aimed it for Atlanta, but it was just too far. Then while scanning around I found the Clemson College radio station WSBF and life began. It may have been a late start but they had Punk, New Wave, Metal, Electronica, and more, each genre having it's own 1/2 hour or 1 hour show, and some shows which coverted anything and everything. There were also talk shows and student DJ's so I learned about a lot more beyond what I heard, including Manifest Records in my town who had new and used records and tapes where they'd buy back the music you bought there at half-price. That helped cfund me and they had literally thousands of tapes of all kinds to choose from. After buying what I knew I began looking at interesting cover art and band names which sounded wild which generated a lot of returns but also found me some obscure bands to like. And I began to find friends who like myself weren't interested in the boring ordinary of life. Music was a large part of what influenced me and made me who I am today (for whatever that's worth!) and though I'm not into the music scene anymore, I have the cherished memories and when I'm in the mood I'll spend an evening going back into the 80's and 90's with the music I love.

More later, gotta get going for work but thanks for getting the thread started, and I can't wait to see and discuss what everyone here is into themselves.

Phil

locomusic01

Reaction score
About the only genre's I don't like are "rap" which isn't music
So what you're saying is you want me to find my old videos from my brief rap career? lol

Actually I don't like most mainstream rap, especially today. More.. alt/indie rap I guess? Atmosphere, P.O.S., Classified, Brother Ali, etc. The last few years I've been more into indie rock/pop type stuff (Wilco, The Revivalists, The Black Keys, Moon Taxi, Of Monsters and Men) but I like a huge range of stuff from oldies (my best friend growing up was related to Dion DiMucci so I got to meet him a couple times) to soul/funk to harder rock. Even a bit of country.

(A very little bit.)

xJownage

Reaction score
I went from classical to punk to edm to rap to metalcore and now modern heavy metal. "pissedcore", as some people call it. Thrown, Dealer, Alpha Wolf, Tallah, Diesect, these new smaller heavy bands have most of my attention atm.

Any Wage War fans around here?

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well I was a fan of "Blondie" which includes "Rapture"- the first Hip-Hop/Rap single to chart in the top 40 (maybe top 100?) Just don't tell the gangbangers their "tough' music was made popular by a white girl :p. I also liked "Cop Killer" by Body Count/ Ice-T (which is a VERY misunderstood song. I just think it takes a lot more than a beat and a voice speaking to qualify as music.

My metal likes go back to the 60's with Iron Butterfly (who did more than In-a-gadda-da-vida) up to Neue Deutsche Hart like Rammstein, Eischbrecher, and some of Megaherz. And One, and a few others. I have everything the Scorpions did up to maybe 95, early Metallica is awesome as is Dio, and some old Megadeth. I also like "Corrosion of Conformity" which I picked up on tape because the bands name is awesome :cool: KMFDM was at the top till a couple stupid kids blamed it for making them murderers (more misunderstood music). Most of the popular metal bands just don't appeal to me; they sold out to money and fame and style.

Y'all have mentioned several bands I'll have to give a listen to. I really haven't kept up with the music scene in 20 years; just wasn't hearing anything I liked. The little bit of modern radio I hear makes me nauseous/ wanna shoot the radio so I just turn it off :rolleyes: And when I go online for music it's usually for the older stuff I like (which I haven't even begun to cover yet).

Phil.

xJownage

Reaction score
Well I was a fan of "Blondie" which includes "Rapture"- the first Hip-Hop/Rap single to chart in the top 40 (maybe top 100?) Just don't tell the gangbangers their "tough' music was made popular by a white girl :p. I also liked "Cop Killer" by Body Count/ Ice-T (which is a VERY misunderstood song. I just think it takes a lot more than a beat and a voice speaking to qualify as music.

My metal likes go back to the 60's with Iron Butterfly (who did more than In-a-gadda-da-vida) up to Neue Deutsche Hart like Rammstein, Eischbrecher, and some of Megaherz. And One, and a few others. I have everything the Scorpions did up to maybe 95, early Metallica is awesome as is Dio, and some old Megadeth. I also like "Corrosion of Conformity" which I picked up on tape because the bands name is awesome :cool: KMFDM was at the top till a couple stupid kids blamed it for making them murderers (more misunderstood music). Most of the popular metal bands just don't appeal to me; they sold out to money and fame and style.

Y'all have mentioned several bands I'll have to give a listen to. I really haven't kept up with the music scene in 20 years; just wasn't hearing anything I liked. The little bit of modern radio I hear makes me nauseous/ wanna shoot the radio so I just turn it off :rolleyes: And when I go online for music it's usually for the older stuff I like (which I haven't even begun to cover yet).

Phil.
I pretty much only listen to modern metal. I can't get into old stuff and I'm really not sure why.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Gave a list of artists I like on the "Getting to know our members" thread, so if you truly desire to know what kind of music I listen to, there you go.

There are truthfully at least 10 more I could have listed, though I did have to cut it off somewhere. I tried to limit it to artists whom I like more than just a couple of their songs.

Anyways, on to the main point of my post: VARIETY.

That's what I like in the music that I listen to. I like variety, and I like electric guitars (doesn't mean a song has to have an electric guitar for me to enjoy it, as there are plenty of outliers), and variety is simply something that modern music doesn't have in any way, shape or form. Listen to 70's on 7 then listen to any station that plays modern music and you'll see exactly what I mean. Willing to bet that 99% of the songs that get popular these days fall into two categories: godawful rap songs with lazy vocals and obnoxious trap beats, or generic country songs that all sound exactly the same. Consider me a member of the "I dislike rap" bandwagon, but I definitely am not a fan of most modern country music either (or modern music in general!). The music that people eat up these days is, frankly, shocking, and you'll be damned if you hear an electric guitar being used in a modern popular song. I get that rock bands still exist of course, but have any ACTUAL rock songs (and not trap beat infested crap) charted on the Billboard Top 100 or whatever charts people pay attention to now?

Sorry if that was a bit of a rant lol. Thank goodness this thread was started cause I needed to get some of that off my chest.

Anyways, I'd be lying if I said I was big into punk and heavy metal, and music of that sort. I do like some bands in that field including Rammstein, Dropkick Murphys and Green Day, however.

How to end this? I have no idea. Maybe mention that when I was over at my mom's place yesterday she said Elvis is "annoying". It's beyond obvious that not everyone has the same taste in music, but damn, I'll take an Elvis or Skynyrd song any day of the week!

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Modern Country and modern Pop is more about selling an image than making good original music. The Buggles had it right: Video killed the radio star and music has become secondary, something in the background supporting all the rest.

Somewhere between Country and Folk is one of my favorite bands- any Goose Creek Symphony fans out there?

Phil

Reaction score
Gave a list of artists I like on the "Getting to know our members" thread, so if you truly desire to know what kind of music I listen to, there you go.

There are truthfully at least 10 more I could have listed, though I did have to cut it off somewhere. I tried to limit it to artists whom I like more than just a couple of their songs.

Anyways, on to the main point of my post: VARIETY.

That's what I like in the music that I listen to. I like variety, and I like electric guitars (doesn't mean a song has to have an electric guitar for me to enjoy it, as there are plenty of outliers), and variety is simply something that modern music doesn't have in any way, shape or form. Listen to 70's on 7 then listen to any station that plays modern music and you'll see exactly what I mean. Willing to bet that 99% of the songs that get popular these days fall into two categories: godawful rap songs with lazy vocals and obnoxious trap beats, or generic country songs that all sound exactly the same. Consider me a member of the "I dislike rap" bandwagon, but I definitely am not a fan of most modern country music either (or modern music in general!). The music that people eat up these days is, frankly, shocking, and you'll be damned if you hear an electric guitar being used in a modern popular song. I get that rock bands still exist of course, but have any ACTUAL rock songs (and not trap beat infested crap) charted on the Billboard Top 100 or whatever charts people pay attention to now?

Sorry if that was a bit of a rant lol. Thank goodness this thread was started cause I needed to get some of that off my chest.

Anyways, I'd be lying if I said I was big into punk and heavy metal, and music of that sort. I do like some bands in that field including Rammstein, Dropkick Murphys and Green Day, however.

How to end this? I have no idea. Maybe mention that when I was over at my mom's place yesterday she said Elvis is "annoying". It's beyond obvious that not everyone has the same taste in music, but damn, I'll take an Elvis or Skynyrd song any day of the week!
Lynyrd Skynyrd are white trash rock, lol. People who listen to them tend to be redneck morons.
Elvis is far from the best musician, but he's leaps and bounds above most other rock musicians from the 50s-70s.
Your comments about modern music are interesting; I have to roll my eyes whenever someone goes on and on about "things these days"; I can't stand most of the pop music I listened to while growing up now. I don't think most music back then was all that great and that romanticizing the past is never a good idea. Lol. Anyways, all the punk and metal bands I listen to were never mainstream to begin with (bit of an elitist here, but 80s glam/hair metal and 90s pop punk are NOT real metal or punk) and I can't stand how most "independent/alternative" bands are actually just mainstream crap. The 90s completely ruined any artists with actual talent in that realm. I suppose I identify the most with punk, metal and related subcultures as I'm a serious misanthrope and have disdain for the overwhelmingly unfriendly, cold, and uncaring attitude of the world at large. This kind of music is just a therapeutic scream/rage against the machine, if you will, for me.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Lynyrd Skynyrd are white trash rock, lol. People who listen to them tend to be redneck morons.
Elvis is far from the best musician, but he's leaps and bounds above most other rock musicians from the 50s-70s.
Your comments about modern music are interesting; I have to roll my eyes whenever someone goes on and on about "things these days"; I can't stand most of the pop music I listened to while growing up now. I don't think most music back then was all that great and that romanticizing the past is never a good idea. Lol. Anyways, all the punk and metal bands I listen to were never mainstream to begin with (bit of an elitist here, but 80s glam/hair metal and 90s pop punk are NOT real metal or punk) and I can't stand how most "independent/alternative" bands are actually just mainstream crap. The 90s completely ruined any artists with actual talent in that realm. I suppose I identify the most with punk, metal and related subcultures as I'm a serious misanthrope and have disdain for the overwhelmingly unfriendly, cold, and uncaring attitude of the world at large. This kind of music is just a therapeutic scream/rage against the machine, if you will, for me.
I get that a lot from my family and do certainly fit some of the "redneck moron" stereotypes; I don't parade around in a cowboy hat or fly a Confederate flag in front of the house, though lol

I would be lying if I said that every song made before a certain year is just fantastic. There are actually plenty of classic rock and other pre-"modern" artists that I actually DON'T like for various reasons. It's also not just rap and country; bad music can come from any genre.

There's actually a bit of recent stuff that I do like as well, though I suppose the definitions of "modern" music and "recent" music are going to vary depending on who you ask. Part of this is probably blinding nostalgia on my part, but the first half of the 2010's had quite a few decent songs.

Reaction score
I get that a lot from my family and do certainly fit some of the "redneck moron" stereotypes; I don't parade around in a cowboy hat or fly a Confederate flag in front of the house, though lol

I would be lying if I said that every song made before a certain year is just fantastic. There are actually plenty of classic rock and other pre-"modern" artists that I actually DON'T like for various reasons. It's also not just rap and country; bad music can come from any genre.

There's actually a bit of recent stuff that I do like as well, though I suppose the definitions of "modern" music and "recent" music are going to vary depending on who you ask. Part of this is probably blinding nostalgia on my part, but the first half of the 2010's had quite a few decent songs.
For me I quit listening to the radio around 2012 or so, coincidentally the year the world was supposed to end (or not, lol). I wonder if since the world didn't end in 2012 everyone collectively decided that nothing really mattered anymore, so that's why so much of stuff from 2013 onwards seems to be nothing but mediocre.

Reaction score
I grew up in rural midwestern America, so when I was younger I fit the redneck, peckerwood moron stereotype to a tee.
Now I live in a large metro area and have since transformed into a horrid city slicker/yuppie scumbag lol, so I guess I fit both categories of terrible people.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Being a Southerner I caught a lot of flak for not liking Southern Rock, but I'd be the first to proclaim Duane Allman as one of the best guitarists and songwriters of the time. Steve Morse also found fame (one of those folks who you gotta see live to hear their best stuff) with Dave LaRue whom I consider the best electric bass player ever (again the best is heard only in person).

And of the times themselves we were seeing half a generation of folks finally getting past racism with the other half learning to keep it 'under the radar'. As kids do, we wanted to escape the mold of our parents who were mostly Country music listeners, so young Southern people were ripe for something to grab onto as their own identity. I mention this as a background to the background of some of us down here, for there was alweays a social class lower than Blacks in the south: "Po white trash", the lowest of the low even beneath the generic "trailer park trash", of which my maternal blood was some of the worst. And Lynard Skynard both had roots here as well as greatly appealing to most like themselves. Despite having the blood, it was something I got as far away from as I could for I could clearly see what "Po white trash" was and I wanted no part of it. That's a lot of the reason I didn't care for most "Southern Rock", especially Skynard. They were just a bunch of partiers from he!! living for the moment with no life goals past getting wasted again tomorrow. They were representative of the "Old South" which was rightfully dying and evolving into better, but Southern Rock had closed that door and has pretty much become a thing of the past itself. No denying Skynard's popularity and fame, but the same can be said for Arianna Grande today who will also fade away simply because there's nothing great enough there to withstand the test of time. I do wonder what might have been without plane crashes and motorcycle wrecks ending what was arguably the leading bands of that genre.

And as much as I dislike Skynard, I came within a gnat's eyelash of seeing their last concert. My friends knew me as something of a "mule" when it came to getting booze and drugs past security into concerts- I was the person they never searched, and my price for taking the risk was affordable: pay for my ticket, share the goods with me, and someone else drives because I was going to get wasted. I've been to several concerts I don't even remember but they say I had fun when I wasn't passed out. My best friend of the time and all the neighborhood folks were going and had invited me but I decided otherwise. BTW I'm 29 1/2 years clean now and I ain't going back, maybe my proudest achievement in life but a personal one which I don't judge others by. Anyway that my Lynard Skynard story!

Phil

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I grew up in rural midwestern America, so when I was younger I fit the redneck, peckerwood moron stereotype to a tee.
Now I live in a large metro area and have since transformed into a horrid city slicker/yuppie scumbag lol, so I guess I fit both categories of terrible people.
I spent the first 12 years of my life living in the nice, upper-middle class northern areas of San Bernardino, then spent almost five years living in one of the worst parts of the city (Del Rosa) before finally settling here in an unincorporated rural town in mid-2019. As far as living in urban, suburban and rural areas go I've seen it all by this point, and all of those experiences shaped who I am today including my musical tastes.

I admit I really don't remember much from my elementary and middle school years as far as what people liked listening to (although I can't help but laugh when I recall that One Direction was still super popular in middle school) but at both of the high schools I went to I would say 95% of my classmates only cared about rap and hip-hop. Some exceptions, a couple rock music fans myself included, though many classmates would be listening to their shite rap music in class with the trap beats loud enough for other people to hear. It's very possible that if I hadn't been exposed to it and had it shoved down my throat so damn much I wouldn't have come to resent it like I do.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Being a Southerner I caught a lot of flak for not liking Southern Rock, but I'd be the first to proclaim Duane Allman as one of the best guitarists and songwriters of the time. Steve Morse also found fame (one of those folks who you gotta see live to hear their best stuff) with Dave LaRue whom I consider the best electric bass player ever (again the best is heard only in person).

And of the times themselves we were seeing half a generation of folks finally getting past racism with the other half learning to keep it 'under the radar'. As kids do, we wanted to escape the mold of our parents who were mostly Country music listeners, so young Southern people were ripe for something to grab onto as their own identity. I mention this as a background to the background of some of us down here, for there was alweays a social class lower than Blacks in the south: "Po white trash", the lowest of the low even beneath the generic "trailer park trash", of which my maternal blood was some of the worst. And Lynard Skynard both had roots here as well as greatly appealing to most like themselves. Despite having the blood, it was something I got as far away from as I could for I could clearly see what "Po white trash" was and I wanted no part of it. That's a lot of the reason I didn't care for most "Southern Rock", especially Skynard. They were just a bunch of partiers from he!! living for the moment with no life goals past getting wasted again tomorrow. They were representative of the "Old South" which was rightfully dying and evolving into better, but Southern Rock had closed that door and has pretty much become a thing of the past itself. No denying Skynard's popularity and fame, but the same can be said for Arianna Grande today who will also fade away simply because there's nothing great enough there to withstand the test of time. I do wonder what might have been without plane crashes and motorcycle wrecks ending what was arguably the leading bands of that genre.

And as much as I dislike Skynard, I came within a gnat's eyelash of seeing their last concert. My friends knew me as something of a "mule" when it came to getting booze and drugs past security into concerts- I was the person they never searched, and my price for taking the risk was affordable: pay for my ticket, share the goods with me, and someone else drives because I was going to get wasted. I've been to several concerts I don't even remember but they say I had fun when I wasn't passed out. My best friend of the time and all the neighborhood folks were going and had invited me but I decided otherwise. BTW I'm 29 1/2 years clean now and I ain't going back, maybe my proudest achievement in life but a personal one which I don't judge others by. Anyway that my Lynard Skynard story!

Phil
Truthfully I have no idea how I got into Lynyrd Skynyrd; maybe because it's the polar opposite to the type of music I was usually exposed to in high school. I did have one classmate that liked Skynyrd so maybe that's it, or maybe I heard it in the background of some NASCAR video or something, who the hell knows.

In any case, I'm not the concert-going type; too loud and crowded far as I'm concerned. Not only that but I've come to resent the concerts and festivals that happen at the nearby Glen Helen Amphitheater because the concertgoers and festival junkies ALWAYS clog up the roads in our town for literally hours at a time (we get enough of that sh*t on Friday evenings for crying out loud!)

locomusic01

Reaction score
Somewhere between Country and Folk is one of my favorite bands- any Goose Creek Symphony fans out there?
This has gotta be one of the bands my dad used to listen to - I don't recognize the name but I checked a couple songs and they sound really familiar.

I spent the first 12 years of my life living in the nice, upper-middle class northern areas of San Bernardino, then spent almost five years living in one of the worst parts of the city (Del Rosa) before finally settling here in an unincorporated rural town in mid-2019. As far as living in urban, suburban and rural areas go I've seen it all by this point, and all of those experiences shaped who I am today including my musical tastes.

I admit I really don't remember much from my elementary and middle school years as far as what people liked listening to (although I can't help but laugh when I recall that One Direction was still super popular in middle school) but at both of the high schools I went to I would say 95% of my classmates only cared about rap and hip-hop. Some exceptions, a couple rock music fans myself included, though many classmates would be listening to their shite rap music in class with the trap beats loud enough for other people to hear. It's very possible that if I hadn't been exposed to it and had it shoved down my throat so damn much I wouldn't have come to resent it like I do.
I mostly grew up in a rural area with a lot of people who liked rock/punk/metal and hated rap (or at least what passes for it on the radio). I've successfully converted a few of them by recommending they start with one of my favorite artists: P.O.S. He grew up listening to Rancid, Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc. and has been in a few different punk bands so he brings a little bit of that edge to his rap music. Here's one of my favorites:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This has gotta be one of the bands my dad used to listen to - I don't recognize the name but I checked a couple songs and they sound really familiar.

I mostly grew up in a rural area with a lot of people who liked rock/punk/metal and hated rap (or at least what passes for it on the radio). I've successfully converted a few of them by recommending they start with one of my favorite artists: P.O.S. He grew up listening to Rancid, Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc. and has been in a few different punk bands so he brings a little bit of that edge to his rap music. Here's one of my favorites:

Still can't say that's my style of music, though I'm glad you can find enjoyment in it. Credit where credit is due though, I would be lying if I said I think it's a BAD song.

As far as hip hop songs go, Iceboy Ben has some undeniable hits:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Meh, OK but not for me. Everyone's heard of the seminal punk band the Dead Kennedys. Their front man Jello Biafra did a lot of collaboration with rap artists and spoken word after the band split up. Lost me at that point, sorry.

Here's "Free Nation" from one of my top-ten favorite albums, "Jettison" by Naked Raygun, a little-known but influential post-punk band from Chicago

Logo 468x120
Back