• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Massive eruption in Tonga

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
82642887_5.gif

82642887_6.gif

It's quite something to be able to see this stuff with modern satellites... this one's in range of GOES-W, even

Jacob

Reaction score
This seems like a very large eruption to my completely untrained eye. Is this looking like one of the bigger eruptions of the last century?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So is the equivalent of our EF discussions?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wow!

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
So is the equivalent of our EF discussions?

:)

I thought of the VEI scale during that discussion. The thing to keep in mind is that this is an explosive phase of a longstanding eruption that has been very dynamic, producing pumice rafts, but AFAIK not a lot of volume (something the VEI scale is based on).

And it isn't over yet. The big question is, was this from gas buildup after the conduit was plugged or is the volcano transitioning into a new phase (which would definitely raise the VEI over time).

A few tweets (have been offline since yesterday morning, so this is preliminary):

Alaska and the pressure wave:

Physical changes pre blast:

Tonga tsunami:

Some good news - very little sulfur, given the scale of the explosion. Maybe this is a one-off thing when seawater reached the magma reservoir?

Awesome lightning:

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
The GVP is doing a whole thread on it:

They don't come out and say this is a VEI 2 eruption (check out the eruptive history on the main page -- few eruptions and mostly VEI 2 in the past.)

I think they're waiting before putting a number on this one, with good reason!

They'll probably update the volcano's page, too.

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
:)

I thought of the VEI scale during that discussion. The thing to keep in mind is that this is an explosive phase of a longstanding eruption that has been very dynamic, producing pumice rafts, but AFAIK not a lot of volume (something the VEI scale is based on).

And it isn't over yet. The big question is, was this from gas buildup after the conduit was plugged or is the volcano transitioning into a new phase (which would definitely raise the VEI over time).

A few tweets (have been offline since yesterday morning, so this is preliminary):

Alaska and the pressure wave:

Physical changes pre blast:

Tonga tsunami:

Some good news - very little sulfur, given the scale of the explosion. Maybe this is a one-off thing when seawater reached the magma reservoir?

Awesome lightning:

The SO2 is from the previous eruption before the big one.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
True. We'll just have to wait. I really hope it's just water-magma. (Edit: Yeah, about that...)

Here's the latest view from TROPOMI of SO2 from the January 14th blast.

Last edited:

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I watched a video from one of my favorite space-related content creators who does a fine job detailing the event and showing several satellite animations and the geography changes leading up to the eruption.

The shock wave/pressure wave coming off that eruption is incredible.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Heard that it may have been triggered by the pressure wave.
I didn't think it was possible, but Iceland got it, too!

Per Wikipedia updates, it sounds like Tonga was hit hard.

This expert notes that the blast might have settled the system -- or it could be the start of a new phase.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Jan. 15th SO2:

Among the replies is another geologist's note that the sulfur content, while 20x previous eruptions here, is relatively small. If it turns out that this blast has stabilized the plumbing system, good! But if the caldera is waking up, well, pulsed blasts of even moderate SO2 over months to a few years might add up.

At 20° S, I don't know what the ITCZ and South Pacific Convergence Zone could do, in terms of transporting the aerosols that are forming now; have merely read that the ITCZ helps to globalize aerosol in equatorial eruptions, whose climate effects might otherwise be limited to one hemisphere.

Back