• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

M 7.1 - 5km ENE of Raboso, Mexico

TWBot

TalkWeather Bot
Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Hundreds of fatalities with this one so far... Terrible

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The video from this event is really scary. I expect sub-standard building codes in this region but some of those buildings just flat out collapsed. Makes me wonder how the buildings in the Southeast would manage with a New Madrid earthquake.

Kory

Reaction score
The video from this event is really scary. I expect sub-standard building codes in this region but some of those buildings just flat out collapsed. Makes me wonder how the buildings in the Southeast would manage with a New Madrid earthquake.
I have my doubts too. A lot of the soil types across the Southeast and the MS River Valley are sandy loams and sandy silts. When saturated (or even semi-saturated), you get a lot of liquefaction which basically turns the ground to liquid. That just kills what structural integrity of the building is there and they likely will be destroyed.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Some of those buildings fell like they were bricks balanced on toothpicks, and that's unfortunately how they were built - with no lateral shearing support. Soft story structure with no sheer wall and large open spaces at the bottom for parking.

Back