• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Low precipitation band

Duane Tiemann

Reaction score
We often see a line of generally lower precipitation during storms. See attached AccuWeather radar maps.

What could cause this? Is there a name for it?

Thanks, Duane

Attachments

• WeatherLine2.PNG
    WeatherLine2.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • LineWeather.PNG
    LineWeather.PNG
    948.8 KB · Views: 0

Duane Tiemann

Reaction score
Thanks. That seems really credible. A few things might throw a little shade on it, though.

I neglected to mention that after a while it seems to drift off to the northeast. I don't have an image of that. Next time I see it, I'll make sure to capture it.

I've also seen it on Darksky, but much less pronounced. I assume they report from the same radar.

And it doesn't always happen. Next time I see it not happen, I can take a screen shot as well.

Wouldn't a radar blockage produce more of a wedge pattern?

Again thanks,

Duane

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
It is wedge shaped, you can see it much more pronounced in this gif since there's a lot more precipitation involved.

QF_05gMX6ERCv4WMjBuetExaeBPMOlJgk5AeRm1Gg8UcuPg-mq32E80TilDjOV0kn_lhaoHVQYOmWwHjXPtWhqyeiliiYhBbC5uhGEHv-F4_dnEqVJMfaGsKBgB_sPC-z2UXnrRAXJoI3YSk80Ujuhqb18Mq

You can see there's a few other narrow bands of abnormal attenuation close to the band of no data.
I don't know if there's something physically blocking the beam or if there's a fault in the radar but there's not any atmospheric phenomenon going on that's creating those abnormal lines.

Duane Tiemann

Reaction score
Thanks. That helps. I'm convinced. I can imagine that the 'fact' that it moves and disappears could be that the blockage, whatever it is, moves a bit.

Duane

Reactions: KoD

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Sure. I did more looking into it and apparently there's a water tower to the WNW of the radar that's blocking the beam

thekillercrusader said:
During our visit, Meteorologist Gary Conte told us that a water tower near the radar blocks a tiny fraction of reflectivity. That fraction amplifies over a long distance, becoming significant enough to take a chunk out of the data!

I can't explain why it would be moving though lol

Duane Tiemann

Reaction score
Yup. It definitely moves. But it starts moving at "now" in the AccuWeather animation. The line persists and drifts in the projected future radar map.

Duane

Attachments

• LineWeather3.PNG
    LineWeather3.PNG
    603.3 KB · Views: 0

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. It definitely moves. But it starts moving at "now" in the AccuWeather animation. The line persists and drifts in the projected future radar map.

Duane
Yeah so anything after "now" is computer generated based on the radar, so it's moving that line as if it's a feature of the radar return. The algorithm they're using to project anything beyond "now" doesn't discern that region as being static. You can find this on some websites but as far as historical radar data, this line has remained there and never moved for at least 11 years.

Back