• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Launch Schedule for Week of January 27, 2020

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Jan 28 - SpaceX Starlink 3 mission via Falcon 9 rocket
8:28 am central

SpaceX will be launching the 4th set of Starlink constellation of 60 satellites. *Note the launch was scrubbed from 1/27 due to high winds. First stage will land at sea on "Of Course I Still Love You" and there will be an attempt to recover the fairing halves. Live webcast at https://www.spacex.com/webcast

Jan 27 - IGS Optical 7 satellite via H-2A rocket
7:34 pm central

The Japanese government will be launching what is more than likely a spy satellite for their government. Best description provided "Information gathering satellite with optical reconnaissance payload"

Jan 30 - National Reconnaissance Office NROL-151 via Electron rocket
Launch window opens at 6:00pm central

Interesting flight as it will be the first time that the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) has ever launch a payload from a launch site outside of the United States. They are using commercial launch provider Rocket Lab and their Electron rocket. The launch will take place from their launch complex located on the Mahia Penisula on New Zealand's North Island. Rocket Lab has a tradition of naming their rockets, this one will be known as "Birds of a Feather".

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
SpaceX reporting poor weather in the recovery area and are scrubbing the launch for another 24 hours. Next launch attempt is Jan 29 @ 8:06am.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Great SpaceX launch this morning. You can watch the replay at the link above. They were able to successfully launch the 60 Starlink satellites, recover the 1st stage and catch one of two fairing halves in a giant net. The other one was close but did make a soft water landing. Included a screenshot of the fairing in the net. They are doing amazing things to make the rocket as fully reusable as possible.

1580318050267.png

Last edited:
Back