• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Hurricane Larry

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We now have Hurricane Larry churning away in the SE Atlantic with 80 mph sustained winds. Cape Verde hurricanes are often the most intense of all hurricanes and the NHC has it reaching major hurricane status by Saturday as it barrels towards Bermuda...
hurricane-larry.JPG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Windy's latest model run shows Larry rapidly intensifying over the next two days, potentially reaching Category 4 or 5 status by late Saturday.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry's (likely rapid) intensification has begun and the hurricane now has 85 mph sustained winds.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry did intensify a little overnight, and now has an eye as well as 90 mph sustained winds.
larry090321-1645.JPGMost of the forecast models are in agreement that the hurricane will steer clear of the United States, but greatly disagree over what intensity Larry could reach.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry is now rapidly intensifying. The hurricane is up to 100mph sustained winds and the eye is becoming significantly better defined.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Windy's latest model run shows Larry significantly affecting Bermuda with winds of possibly up to low-end Category 3 force. That being said, Bermuda is still just outside the NHC's cone of uncertainty and any impacts to the island are too early to conclusively determine. They could be devastating or they could be minimal. People who live on Bermuda should however stay informed and keep the hurricane in mind.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry is officially a Category 3 hurricane with sustained winds of 115MPH.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry continues to intensify and now has 125 MPH sustained winds. NHC has begun putting out key messages for the hurricane.
keymessages.JPG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry is fluctuating in intensity due to an eyewall replacement cycle and has dropped slightly to 120 mph sustained winds. The hurricane's eye and hurricane force wind swath are quite large and not like anything I've seen for a while.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry is fluctuating in intensity due to an eyewall replacement cycle and has dropped slightly to 120 mph sustained winds. The hurricane's eye and hurricane force wind swath are quite large and not like anything I've seen for a while.
For reference here's the latest satellite image. Reminds me of Hurricane Vince from 2005 (albeit Larry is a much larger and stronger storm overall):
larry2.JPG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry has interestingly maintained its large eye for almost its entire life as a hurricane. Here's the latest satellite image showing an outer eyewall (indicative of another eyewall replacement cycle)
larry-erp.JPG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The latest ERP has hurt Larry a bit. Its sustained winds have dropped slightly to 120 mph and the eye is now noticeably clouded up.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry has regained some intensity and is back up to 125 mph sustained winds. The eye also looks clearer now and the storm is expected to pass right of Bermuda as a major hurricane.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry has been an odd hurricane. Not only has the hurricane maintained a large eye for most of its life, but it has completed two ERP's and now has an annular appearance.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry has remained virtually stationary for the past couple of hours and looks like it could be undergoing another eyewall replacement cycle. Wonder what the record is for the most eyewall replacement cycles undergone by a single hurricane?

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I thought hurricanes with annular structures were more resistant to ERCs and were able to maintain strength more consistently?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I thought hurricanes with annular structures were more resistant to ERCs and were able to maintain strength more consistently?
The hurricane developed an annular structure today and before that it has undergone two different ERC's. It looks to be undergoing a third ERC right now but its intensity hasn't dropped.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here's the latest satellite image from Larry. I admit I've never seen a hurricane that looks quite like this. My guess is it's undergoing a third ERC, but I admit as hurricanes are less in my area of expertise than tornadoes I'm not quite sure. Maybe someone can help me out with this one. Its intensity has not dropped from 125mph sustained winds, however.
larry-erp2.JPG

Back