• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Land-Spout or Cold air Funnel?

samuel557

Reaction score
Around two weeks ago I looked out the window and saw this. I am very fascinated in all natural vortexes so my first thought was "Land-spout!" but I am not sure. This was in northern Utah and from what I have heard Land-Spouts are pretty rare. Also the weather that day was hot and there were many cumulus congestious clouds giving birth to small thunderstorms. I would imagine that a cold air funnel would not happen in this weather but I could be wrong. I also thought I could see a thin tube of dust connecting the funnel to the ground. I tried to look around on various local news sources for it but couldn't find anything. I would love to here what you guys think it is!
Thanks! And sorry for the poor spelling and grammar, I typed this in a rush.Land Spout.PNG

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A land spout if it is touching the ground.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Cool! You might want to pass it along to your local NWS office; they would need all the reports they can get to decide what to call it. This might be the contact info.

Back