• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Kinda/Sorta Off-Topic Meteorology Question

Derek00

Reaction score
So I have been teaching for around six years now. Unfortunately, due to the accumulating amount of nonsense that seems to get worse year to year, I've become disillusioned with the job and am looking to move on to something else, if at all possible. Obviously (since I'm a member of a weather forum), meteorology has been a huge interest of mine since I was a kid. For those of you in the field, where should someone start who would like to pursue a career in meteorology, and is it even worth it to start doing so in your 30's?

JPWX

Reaction score
So I have been teaching for around six years now. Unfortunately, due to the accumulating amount of nonsense that seems to get worse year to year, I've become disillusioned with the job and am looking to move on to something else, if at all possible. Obviously (since I'm a member of a weather forum), meteorology has been a huge interest of mine since I was a kid. For those of you in the field, where should someone start who would like to pursue a career in meteorology, and is it even worth it to start doing so in your 30's?
Man all I'll say is this, if you have a passion/love for meteorology, go for it! Yeah there's a lot of math involved but don't let that hinder you. My grandpa use to tell me all the time do what you love. There's definitely not an age limit. There's a great website that offers free courses and it's free to sign up. I got my bachelor's degree in Geoscience/Operational Meteorology from Mississippi State in August 2016. I did their online meteorology program.

Derek00

Reaction score
Man all I'll say is this, if you have a passion/love for meteorology, go for it! Yeah there's a lot of math involved but don't let that hinder you. My grandpa use to tell me all the time do what you love. There's definitely not an age limit. There's a great website that offers free courses and it's free to sign up. I got my bachelor's degree in Geoscience/Operational Meteorology from Mississippi State in August 2016. I did their online meteorology program.
I'm really late responding to this, I apologize. I just wanted to thank you for the response and advice! I think I am finally going to pull the trigger on all of this and apply for the program. Thanks again!

Jacob

Reaction score
Are you good with relocating? The biggest drawback to going into the field (IMO) is the difficulty in the job market, and you’ll almost always have to be willing to move around to make any career advancements. I started school for meteorology but got spooked by the job market and ended up going a different route.

That isn’t meant to discourage you, if it is something you want to pursue go for it. Just wanted to make sure you’d considered that angle to it.

Reaction score
If you would like to pursue a career in meteorology, the best place to start is by obtaining a degree in meteorology, atmospheric science, or a related field. Many universities offer bachelor's degrees in meteorology or atmospheric science, and some also offer master's and doctoral degrees. Additionally, it is important to gain experience in the field by completing internships and other research-related activities. The American Meteorological Society offers certification programs that provide a great way for meteorologists to demonstrate their expertise and stay up to date on the latest developments in the field.

Reaction score
Do most violent tornadoes occur in temperatures in the low-mid 70s to around 80 with dews in the low/mid 60s to low 70s. For instance the 5/3/99 Bridge Creek-Moore 1999 F5 tornado occurred in a temp of 72.0°F and a dew of 68.0°F. The high temp that day in those area reached around 77.0°F to 81.0°F and the highest dew was like 70.0°F.

Last edited:
Back