• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

January Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The freezing rain potential looks like a very real and serious problem for areas of the lower central states. Soundings show a deep warm layer beginning just above the surface.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
1/11 today with winds around 30MPH this morning. Went up on the parkway early afternoon and they were gusting 40+ in spots. COLD.

Kory

Reaction score
We've still got snow on the ground in the Tuscaloosa area. Longest I can remember snow on the ground...rivaling Jan 2014.

Kory

Reaction score
Looking ahead a bit, we are going to see a complete reshuffle of the North Pacific over the next week. Much needed warm up coming and passing rain chances. Looking even further, significant troughing overtakes the NE Pac and begins to shift into the Pacific NW. With that, a very strong, dynamic jet in the day 10-15 range comes crashing into the West Coast and points east. Perhaps stormier times ahead?

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Looking ahead a bit, we are going to see a complete reshuffle of the North Pacific over the next week. Much needed warm up coming and passing rain chances. Looking even further, significant troughing overtakes the NE Pac and begins to shift into the Pacific NW. With that, a very strong, dynamic jet in the day 10-15 range comes crashing into the West Coast and points east. Perhaps stormier times ahead?
I think so...I could see this year's severe season starting early for the south

SASQUATCH

Reaction score
Major strat warming progged to occur in NW Canada in 8-16 Days. Suggests 30C rise. Should put 500mb ridge in NW Canada by end of January or first of Feb. resulting in an Eastern trough. MJO looks favorable too.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
SPC is releasing this for 21/22 January.

day6prob21Jan17.gif

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Almost 70 degrees today. I've already seen a few trees budding out and the grass is greening up. Hopefully we can get some cold air down here soon and put everything back in winter mode.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't believe I have ever seen the grass as green is it in late January before. Its almost like late February instead.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't believe I have ever seen the grass as green is it in late January before. Its almost like late February instead.

My grass looked more dead in August!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back