• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Historic April 27-May 1 2024 Midwest Storms

Tanner

Reaction score
Ground truth is just as, if not more important than radar returns if we're talking about determining tornado intensity.
Definitely some insane couplets though. Haven't seen ones this intense since... eh... a few days ago. Very reminiscent of Elkhorn if you ask me.
I really am surprised Elkhorn wasn't more violent with a signature like that.

Brice W

Reaction score
141kts of VROT is not something to ignore. Again, only El Reno 2013 beats that. There's no way this isn't at the very least an EF4, at least in terms of intensity.
That's ~324mph of GTG shear at only about 500-600 feet above ground. That is absurd.
It was acting like El Reno too with the erratic movement of the tornado

Brice W

Reaction score
Look at the meso in picture 4, very beautiful, reminds me of what 1999 Moore looked like with the lighting showing more in that part of the meso.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I wonder what the damage photos are gonna be like?
We're either gonna be incredibly disappointed or incredibly amazed.
I hope that nobody was in those homes though.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
i think this is going to be one of them 2-4 feet deep scouring events....
If it does do that, we may finally have a tornado rated EF5, if they do what they did to the Philadelphia, MS tornado.
Unless it didn't get rated EF5 based on contextual damage and I'm just stupid.

Reaction score
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here a bit. We saw plenty of “violent” returns from Nebraska and Iowa Friday and all yielded EF3s so far.

If it does do that, we may finally have a tornado rated EF5, if they do what they did to the Philadelphia, MS tornado.
Unless it didn't get rated EF5 based on contextual damage and I'm just stupid.

The scouring plus lofting and throwing an entire mobile home a pretty good distance without it ever touching the ground. It also swept a house, but not sure on its construction. @buckeye05 would probably know the answer on why it got an EF5 better than I would.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here a bit. We saw plenty of “violent” returns from Nebraska and Iowa Friday and all yielded EF3s so far.

The scouring plus lofting and throwing an entire mobile home a pretty good distance without it ever touching the ground. It also swept a house, but not sure on its construction. @buckeye05 would probably know the answer on why it got an EF5 better than I would.
I mean... there was a vortex hole on every tilt on the radar. I don't think a tornado has ever had that, and very, very few if any, combined with a VROT of 141kts and stalling over a home for several minutes. That is a recipe for extreme damage.

Clancy

Reaction score
I mean... there was a vortex hole on every tilt on the radar. I don't think a tornado has ever had that, and very, very few if any, combined with a VROT of 141kts and stalling over a home for several minutes. That is a recipe for extreme damage.
A (rather fortunate) issue will be the sparseness of structures where the tornadoes affected, though trees and ground scouring may at least provide clues to strength. Either way, I'm more than happy with having a lowballed rating if it means it didn't hit anything.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
A (rather fortunate) issue will be the sparseness of structures where the tornadoes affected, though trees and ground scouring may at least provide clues to strength. Either way, I'm more than happy with having a lowballed rating if it means it didn't hit anything.
I definitely agree. I'm just really hoping nobody was in those homes, or they had some sort of underground shelter.

Back