• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

First images from GOES 16 Satellite

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wow talk about starting with a bang. Some great shots!

• Admin

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

ES5NHC

Reaction score
Take not how the Moon is not distorted from the slow scanning time as it used to be. Well, maybe they just simply corrected in processing. I remember myself once testing my Python skills by writing a script to deslant the Moon in one of the satellite images.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here is an article on how a previous satellite was calibrated using the Moon

http://gizmodo.com/how-nasa-uses-the-full-moon-to-calibrate-its-earth-gazi-1604408119

This Google search that led me to the above article probably has more detailed information, I just haven't had time to look into it.
From the article

"The timing is set for just after the moon is completely full. Then, as Landsat 8 passes over Antarctica and heads north in Earth's shadow, the spacecraft maneuvers to the precise location to start the first scan across the lunar surface."

That just seems like a lot of fuel being used to calibrate... hmm now I'm really interested lol.

Forrest White

Reaction score
For today, satellites are great tools to observe the earth from different parts of the world. They can help check the weather status in order to be prepared for the hurricanes or Monitoring Deforestation Using Satellite Technology. Just imagine that the police can get a signal if the poacher can cut trees or if there is a fire in the forest thus helping us saving the woods. Btw, that is combined with great pictures.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Today there was a dense and expansive low stratus deck over much of the south central US. It's remained remarkably stagnant, barely moving at all the entire day.

COD-GOES-East-continental-conus.truecolor.20201027.172116-over=map-bars=.gif

COD-GOES-East-regional-southcentral.truecolor.20201027.221116-over=map-bars=.gif

Back