• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Eclipse Background

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hi everyone! Today I loaded up a new background that comes to us courtesy of my good friend Nathan Williams. I've invited him to join us on TW but until he does I'm going to share a few details of this very special photo taken near Burgess Falls State Park, TN.

36°02'02.0"N 85°37'21.4"W
Had the humbling fortune of witnessing firsthand the eclipse. To top things off, Joy and I celebrated our 18th anniversary. To say it was beyond all the hype is an understatement. I can only imagine what the earliest of humans might have felt having this happen on an ordinary day. Our two boys really enjoyed seeing it and I can imagine they will remember this day forever. I had planned to shoot in a different location but ended up using a backup plan after the first choice was already packed and closed. This location was not crowded. Just a few folks enjoying the day. This image was created in camera. Using multi-exposure mode I first shot the Sun using a 500mm telephoto set somewhere around 350mm and then mid shot, I swapped to a 10mm wide angle to get some of the landscape. It was interesting feeling the moment as I also tried to focus my mind enough to get the shot. Easy for some - but not for me. In all my photo career, I have searched for moments that make me feel small and insignificant. Today at this moment, I felt very small and insignificant. But a tiny spec in the cosmos. What an amazing perspective. 8-21-2017

Back