• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Discussion of the Earth

Is the Earth Round or Flat?

• Round

• Flat

Results are only viewable after voting.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Have you seen any of the theories of whether the earth is round or the theories of the earth being flat.

Being nice to each other lets have a real scientific discussion about why either one of these could be true.

Is Antarctica an Ice wall or a continent?

• Admin

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I will assume this is a general crazy person test.
Why does it have to be a crazy person test? Can someone not have an opinion without them being crazy? No judgment here. I am just curious what people think.

Jacob

Reaction score
Why does it have to be a crazy person test? Can someone not have an opinion without them being crazy? No judgment here. I am just curious what people think.

People that believe in a flat earth, that genuinely believe it, are generally going to have a screw loose.

• Admin

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
People that believe in a flat earth, that genuinely believe it, are generally going to have a screw loose.
So the Universe doesn't rotate around the earth?

thundersnow

Reaction score
There’s this bizarre cult-like online following that claims the earth is flat. Not sure what percent genuinely believe it or just entertaining themselves getting people stirred up about it.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Flat Earth Society has members from all over the globe :p

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but even though I'm an advocate of having an open mind therre are things so well proven that raising questions about them is rather less than being intelligent.

The value of what you think directly relates to how you think, and those who think so poorly that they truly believe the Earth is flat are hardly worth listening too regards any subject matter :eek:

• Admin

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
The Flat Earth Society has members from all over the globe :p

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but even though I'm an advocate of having an open mind therre are things so well proven that raising questions about them is rather less than being intelligent.

The value of what you think directly relates to how you think, and those who think so poorly that they truly believe the Earth is flat are hardly worth listening too regards any subject matter :eek:
Sawmaster, in that kind of thought you are basically saying that anything that doesn't agree with your idea or thought process isn't worth listening to.

1500 years ago everyone knew that the earth was the center of the universe, 500 years everybody knew that the earth was flat. Sometimes conversations are had that do not make sense. Sometimes conversations are had that make you wonder, and sometimes conversations are had that show or prove what used to be a theory.

The point of the thread is to make you think not to subscribe to a way or to believe that something is or isn't. Without discussion and without thought, we are nothing but mindless human beings.

In your mind you believe that the earth is round because the science you know tells you it is. Those who believe that the earth is flat will tell you they have a reason why they believe the earth is flat and have scientific evidence to back it up.

In the grand scheme of things to me it doesn't matter. There is a power that will one day make it all irrelevant.

-Jay

thundersnow

Reaction score
Well, the votes here so far are unanimous that the world is round. So, if no one is going to take up a position of the world being flat, then this thread may not go very far. ;)

Unless, you want to make an case for it?

As far as Antarctica is concerned, you can be anywhere in the world and head due south and end up in Antarctica. Everyone doing this would intersect at the same spot at some point at the, uh I dunno, South Pole maybe? :) From that point, any other forward progress will then be going north. I wonder why that is?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Well, the votes here so far are unanimous that the world is round. So, if no one is going to take up a position of the world being flat, then this thread may not go very far. ;)

As far as Antarctica is concerned, you can be anywhere in the world and head due south and end up in Antarctica. Everyone doing this would intersect at the same spot at some point at the, uh I dunno, South Pole maybe? :) From that point, any other forward progress will then be going north. I wonder why that is?
There is a video out there on YouTube that actually makes a strong case for a flat earth. They use the bible to back up the reasoning behind their argument. Let me post it for you. Not saying I believe it but it does make you go HMMMMMM
(Interestingly enough, I cannot find the YouTube video that I watched on this)

And then to look at the opposite viewpoint from the bible

Dr. Danny R. Faulkner does a great job of explaining why the earth is round.

If anything is meant by this thread is to spark discussion not to bash anyone's ideas or theories.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Soo what you are saying is we should invite some flat-earthers to the forum???

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Soo what you are saying is we should invite some flat-earthers to the forum???
As long as they are civil in their discussions and do not personally attack one another for differing views on what each flat earther believes. :D:D:D

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The first photo of Earth taken from space in 1946; it's not like anyone was trying to 'disprove flat earthers' by releasing the photo, since the Flat Earth Society did not exist yet.
171024-1stSpace-Full.jpg

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sawmaster, in that kind of thought you are basically saying that anything that doesn't agree with your idea or thought process isn't worth listening to.

1500 years ago everyone knew that the earth was the center of the universe, 500 years everybody knew that the earth was flat. Sometimes conversations are had that do not make sense. Sometimes conversations are had that make you wonder, and sometimes conversations are had that show or prove what used to be a theory.

The point of the thread is to make you think not to subscribe to a way or to believe that something is or isn't. Without discussion and without thought, we are nothing but mindless human beings.

In your mind you believe that the earth is round because the science you know tells you it is. Those who believe that the earth is flat will tell you they have a reason why they believe the earth is flat and have scientific evidence to back it up.

In the grand scheme of things to me it doesn't matter. There is a power that will one day make it all irrelevant.

-Jay
Jay, I didn't bother reading your response past the first sentence because I don't have time to waste on jerks who twist the words I said into something I didn't say. in their own mind, and then turn hypocritical and do not consider that they could be wrong themselves. Which you are. For a flat-earther you're a noob; I've spent an entire night discussing the possibilities with someone with a far keener mind than yours.

BTW since I wrote that reply I spent one day so sick I thought I was done for, another 2 days wishing I HAD died working to beat a deadline, then finding my laptop dying that evening before I could use it, and only today getting a donor laptop (hopefully) fixed after an hour of fiddling with it.

I see there's been a crap-ton of replies since then and I'll catch up when I can but this thread and you aren't worth much to me so that'll be awhile.

Back