• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm still not buying it. They never specified what "foundation construction concerns" there were and if the equipment was heavy enough to have a significant impact on the home's destruction, the equipment being thrown could be an indicator of violent winds itself.

Sure, it wasn't an EF5, but couldn't they have at least gone with a marginal EF4 rating?
I think the industrial buildings that were leveled (the one that briefly had EF4 170) should be have kept that rating.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Before and after GIF I made of Meadowbrook Drive in Princeton
Yeah that's another interesting area in Princeton, seems there's a pretty solid swath of violent damage leading up to the UK Grain Center.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also looks like that house in Carbondale was surveyed. Looks like the slab was the result of cleanup and considering all the shrubbery around the home is fine, it probably was not a well-built home.
Somehow this post went right over my head, but this is the home on the DAT:
Carbondale-damage-home.JPG

Not the same as the other home on Carbondale Road.
11150_3a823f286a2dbcb6109c20299341018a.png

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah that's another interesting area in Princeton, seems there's a pretty solid swath of violent damage leading up to the UK Grain Center.
It is interesting to note that the smaller slab (107 Meadowbrook Dr) looks like an outbuilding slab but it was actually a home per street view. I tried to figure out if the building with the red roof was a home or outbuilding, but trees blocking street view made determining that impossible.

Reaction score
Apparently there were three small tornadoes confirmed in Obion County, TN in the already short gap between the violent ones, so it was extremely close to continuous tornadic activity. Probably the closest analog we'll ever see to the March 18, 1925 event.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Apparently there were three small tornadoes confirmed in Obion County, TN in the already short gap between the violent ones, so it was extremely close to continuous tornadic activity. Probably the closest analog we'll ever see to the March 18, 1925 event.
It probably would counted as ~one 260miles continues track in the past.

Reaction score
Getting away from the damage for a bit, much of the discussion in the days leading up was what kind of trough would be involved. So, did it wind up being Positive or Negative tilt?

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking that deserves higher than 170 mph? Anchor bolted into poured concrete, surrounding small trees and shrubs are blasted, still managed to nearly completely sweep the home despite some of it being built below ground level.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Yeah construction wise, the Cambridge Shores area homes were the most impressive in terms of construction quality. Plus, the sill plates above are clearly splintered and broken, and the bolts are bent. That means the connections were reasonably strong, and that the house was ripped from its foundation with a considerable amount of force. With all that taken into consideration, 170 MPH does seem quite low.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Talked to a homeowner in the Campbellsville area who lost her home, four barns and most of her livestock to the Saloma tornado. The survey team deemed the damage to the property EF3 (so one of the homes swept from its subflooring?) but I firmly believe that tornado should have been rated EF4.

Logo 468x120