• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

COVID-19 detected in United States

Summer Girl

Reaction score
I got tested today. I’m fully vaccinated but it’s been since January and I was exposed by a coworker last week. I have a fever, headache, chills, congestion alternating with runny nose and fatigue. My rapid was negative but they told me with my symptoms and exposure they feel sure the PCR will come back positive. Right now I feel like I have the flu. I’m quarantined at least through Wednesday, awaiting the PCR. Bad thing is we can’t take care of the influx of Covid patients because we are getting sick.

Evan

Reaction score
Whole lotta politicians, talking heads, and grifters are going to have blood on their hands due to discouraging vaccination or framing it as an issue of liberty/personal choice:

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I got tested today. I’m fully vaccinated but it’s been since January and I was exposed by a coworker last week. I have a fever, headache, chills, congestion alternating with runny nose and fatigue. My rapid was negative but they told me with my symptoms and exposure they feel sure the PCR will come back positive. Right now I feel like I have the flu. I’m quarantined at least through Wednesday, awaiting the PCR. Bad thing is we can’t take care of the influx of Covid patients because we are getting sick.
Your symptoms are similar to mine... minus the headache but I've had a terrible cough. I'm getting the PCR tomorrow... it may be too late for it to tell me much though. Hope you get well quick!

Evan

Reaction score
I think I may possibly have or have had Covid during the past 10 days. If so, it's a break through case because I had 2 Pfzier shots back in late Feb/early March. 10 days ago (week ago Friday) I started coughing with some sinus congestion and a little phlegm. The next day I went and got a rapid test and was Negative. On Sunday... I was very tired and started running a low grade (99°s) fever and just laid in bed most of the day. terrible cough. Monday fever was around 100° still fatigued and little appetite bad cough. By Tuesday fever was 102° so I went to a walk-in clinic to get a rocephin shot and some antibiotics thinking I had a bad case of bronchitis. Checked me for Covid and flu.. both negative... got shot, antibiotics and steroid pack. Wednesday night my fever broke. Thursday felt much better. Friday even better but still had a nagging cough and some congestion. Yesterday morning felt good enough to go to the gym and workout with weights didn't do cardio. Still no real appetite. Last night I went to put the coffee in the coffeemaker and opened a new fresh bag. I always love to smell the roasted grounds when I open a new bag but last night... couldn't smell a thing. I stuck my nose down in the bag and it smelled like air. I tried smelling a jar of peanut butter and a fresh cut onion... smelled nothing. Now I see why food hasn't had hardly any taste to me for a week. Today I feel pretty good except my congestion and runny nose is a little worse. Still have a cough but not as persistent today. So have I had Covid? If so am I still contagious? I've had 2 negative tests but have some of the most common symptoms. I'm going to quarantine for a few more days just in case.

I'm not a doctor obviously, but, your symptoms are such that I would think COVID is a definite possibility...if not the most likely explanation. Get well soon. Your experience is not exactly an aberration and may be an example of why people like Scott Gottlieb think we have a lot more cases currently than the reporting reflects.

Summer Girl

Reaction score
Your symptoms are similar to mine... minus the headache but I've had a terrible cough. I'm getting the PCR tomorrow... it may be too late for it to tell me much though. Hope you get well quick!
I hope you are feeling better soon! I’d say it’s very likely you’ve got Covid.

Evan

Reaction score

Hope you feel better soon as well. I also hope that you and ghost don't have any lingering symptoms or long COVID like issues, if, in fact, COVID is what both of you have (and it seems pretty probable).

This really pisses me off. We could've avoided Delta tearing through our communities, and had way fewer breakthrough cases, if only STUBBORN people had gotten vaccinated. I also have felt for several weeks now that masks and other NPIs disappeared way too quickly. Those restrictions should've been tied to vax rates by area instead of just ripping the band-aid off once the CDC felt case counts were low enough.

We really screwed up. Vax rates have been on the rise again, but for some of those who are newly vaxxed they're only going to have minimal protection if exposed. We had a golden opportunity to protect our children, those who are immunocompromised, and the elderly and we blew it.

You've got people still convinced that children aren't at any real risk from COVID, and because of that you have idiot politicians preventing schools from taking simple measures to protect our children until they're eligible for the vaccine. I'm fed up with people's selfishness and the politicization of COVID. What has happened to this country?

Praying for you and ghost. You two are having to pay for the selfish behavior of others.

Last edited:

Summer Girl

Reaction score
The hospital I work at is probably going to stop all elective surgeries within a week and I’ll convert to a night shift non Covid ICU nurse. Our department is already shifting some of our staff to give Regeneron infusions to Covid positive individuals who qualify for the monoclonal antibody infusion. All of our staff needs to be healthy for us to be able to continue to give our patients the care they need. Honestly in my 13+ years of nursing I’ve never felt so defeated and weary. All my coworkers feel the same and I’d hazard a guess that healthcare is about to lose numerous longtime employees because the general public just doesn’t care to help the situation. It feels like a perfect storm.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some unpleasant perspective on how bad the situation in the south is (and how badly we're doing relative to other developed countries).

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There are currently no plans for UNA to implement the use of masks unless a student/faculty/staff member has not received the Covid-19 vaccine. The university does require those who have not received the vaccine to wear masks but there is not way to prove who has and who has not had it. For now, they are asking everyone to remain vigilant and cautious while distancing were possible and using proper hand washing hygiene. Classes will meet at 100% in-person capacity. Anyone who wishes to wear a mask is encouraged to do so.

Jacob

Reaction score
Still watching and waiting for any signs of a peak across the sunbelt, it obviously needs to happen sooner rather than later. Florida might be at/just past peak as far as spread is concerned, hopefully the case numbers this week show that and we see hospitalizations top out and stop dropping there soon.

CLI ED visits data makes it seem like Alabama/MS are seeing a reduction, but I think the CDC put out/pulled in some bad data that will be adjusted in the coming days. There's always some revision up as that data filters in, but something is off with their data today.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Early data indicates the Moderna vaccine may be the most effective against breakthrough with the Delta variant. I had the Pfizer.

Reaction score
First, let me apologize that I have not read back through the entire post.

Well here I am again in another hospital ICU. after an 11 day stay the first go around I was sent home with oxygen. The first 4 days were not a walk in the park but totally appeared to just be part of the healing process. On day 5 I noticed my condition was slipping a little and simple activities such as moving from one room to another was becoming a huge challenge. Plus ox reading would show my oxygen level at 90+% and I could walk 50ft and it would drop into the 60% range. My oxygen would always quickly recover but with each minor activity it dropped lower and lower. Finally (my stubborn self) I admitted to my wife I needed to go back to the ER. After X-rays and CT scans DR's discovered blood clots in both lungs, explaining why my 02 levels were dropping so quickly. They also discovered that the right side of my heart was stressed due to the clots.
Currently I'm still in Kennestone ICU receiving medication to help dissolve the clots. My heart will recover on its own over time.
For some Covid is a walk in the park. For others not so much. Vaccinated or not please take it seriously because if it gets a hold of you it no joke.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Well here I am again in another hospital ICU. after an 11 day stay the first go around I was sent home with oxygen. The first 4 days were not a walk in the park but totally appeared to just be part of the healing process. On day 5 I noticed my condition was slipping a little and simple activities such as moving from one room to another was becoming a huge challenge. Plus ox reading would show my oxygen level at 90+% and I could walk 50ft and it would drop into the 60% range. My oxygen would always quickly recover but with each minor activity it dropped lower and lower. Finally (my stubborn self) I admitted to my wife I needed to go back to the ER. After X-rays and CT scans DR's discovered blood clots in both lungs, explaining why my 02 levels were dropping so quickly. They also discovered that the right side of my heart was stressed due to the clots.
Currently I'm still in Kennestone ICU receiving medication to help dissolve the clots. My heart will recover on its own over time.
For some Covid is a walk in the park. For others not so much. Vaccinated or not please take it seriously because if it gets a hold of you it no joke.
I am so sorry you have struggled so much with this dreaded virus. Praying that the treatments you are now receiving with set you on the road to recovery and it will be complete

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Hate to hear it. Listen to your doctors and get better ASAP.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Early data indicates the Moderna vaccine may be the most effective against breakthrough with the Delta variant. I had the Pfizer.
Moderna is what I had. I've developed new symptoms I didn't realize at first were covid related, but upon further review they are. Its basically a lot of body pain to the point I have trouble getting around. It took me over two hours this morning to get to where I could get to the car and drive to work. And my voice is weak.

The other stuff is long gone and I feel fine, but the pain makes me a bit nauseous at times.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Definitely glad I got Moderna then. I might finally be going back to the office part-time in the next week or two, although DC has just reinstated its mask mandate, which might complicate things a bit. I usually ride my bike in to avoid dealing with public transit, although it's generally not as crowded as it was pre-pandemic for obvious reasons.

Jacob

Reaction score

Oklahoma has some of the best reports with vaccine data and their data supports this as well. They track breakthrough cases by vaccine type, and per 100k they have the following

Moderna: 123
Pfizer: 180
J&J: 210

However the % of breakthrough cases that require hospitalization is

Moderna: 9.3%
J&J: 7.4%
Pfizer: 7.1%

It's a relatively small sample size though, so not sure how much can be taken from the % hospitalizations.

Here's the full weekly report from Oklahoma. I wish other states released data like they do

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Ghost, hope you feel better soon: if it is COVID, you could be a lot worse without that vaccination earlier!

Would the vaccination have produced those negative results or interfere somehow with the tests, anybody?

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
UNA has implemented an indoor mask mandate for everyone effective immediately. It will last at least for the next 30 days.

Back